How long does it take for tylonol to reduce the fever?

ChristianMamaO3

Asked by ChristianMamaO3 at 3:09 AM on Feb. 28, 2010 in Health

• one more thing you dont actually want to cool a child under 5 more then one or 2 degrees per hour-- too fast cooling or heating is what causes febrile seizures-- it is not the actual degree of the fever but how fast you got to it OR how fast you cool it that causes the seizure
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:32 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• With my children it always took close to an hour when it actually worked, we switched to motrin and that works within 10 minutes. For some reason tylenol just doesnt work on me or my children very well.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:12 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• thanks for the help.. it hasn't been working, wasn't sure how long to wait.. I'm about to give her a cool bath if her temp hasn't gone down by now :(
    ChristianMamaO3

Answer by ChristianMamaO3 at 4:27 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Depends on if it is pill form or liquid form. Liquid form will work fast them pill form. Because it do not have to dissolve in the stomach before absorption

Answer by louise2 at 6:54 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• with my son, the liquid works in no more than 30 minutes. the chewables (now that he's old enough) work in about the same amount of time, but sometimes take closer to an hour.
    nemiller

Answer by nemiller at 7:10 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• I used something different for my kids because I was living in the UK when they were little but I always sponged them down with tepid water as well, and that works fast.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:27 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• it takes 1 hour to kick in orally to be maximally effective it should be 'chased' with one once of clear fluid per year of life so if you give a 1 year old tylenol at 9am followed by one ounce of pedialyte by 10 am the fever should be down 1-2 degrees

if you give a suppository it takes effect in 30 minutes no need to chase
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:29 AM on Feb. 28, 2010