Newborn baby and no bowel movements?

I had my baby on Feb 24, 2010 and so far I am breastfeeding him on demand and my milk came in yesterday (I pumped some out). Anyway, the baby has not had a single bowel movement since my milk came in, he only had meconium stools when I had the colostrum. He only soaks his diapers with pee. When should I expect him to have a bowel movement? He's very gassy as well. Sometimes he cries until his face turns a bright red and he pulls his feet towards his stomach. What could this be and how can I make him feel better?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:35 AM on Feb. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He's fine! Breastfed babies can go up to 10-14 days without a bowel movement. He might seem uncomfortable but you need to remember he is only 3 days old. He has only been in the dry air, breathing on his own, being touched with rough hands, moved around and dressed, bathed, scrubbed, fed for 3 days. It is all new to him. Just a new noise or fabric might be enough to surprise him. Even if it gets to next week and nothing has happened don't freak out, he might fuss around a bit, but he will do it when he is ready. trust that perfect little person and all will be okay
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 5:54 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Most newborns like to be swaddled fairly tightly, they have been in a confined space for 9 months so all this space is scary to them. Try to not read to much into his movemnets, pulling his legs up is trying to get back into the cosy tucked up position inutero. He might be gassy (normal) pee alot(normal) poo lots(normal) not poo at all (normal) cry when you put him down (normal) cry at a loud noise (normal) sleep for hours (normal) only sleep for a couple of minutes (normal)... are you starting to see a pattern? He has just been squeezed through a suffocatingly narrow tube into an extremely noisy, dry, bright scratchy place. This is a steep learning curve for him. Rock and sway with him, talk softly in a low voice (like the muffled noises he would have heard in-utero ) Shower or bathwith him, snooze and cuddle, he will learn you are safe!
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 6:01 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• It IS normal for EBF babies to go long periods without a bowel movement, but usually not until 4-6 weeks. At this point, it's only been one day. I'd not worry yet. If no poop by say, tomorrow, I might ask the doctor. Relax and congrats!
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:32 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• 10 -14 days without a bowel movement? that sounds crazy to me .. breastfed babies usually poop at least once a day.. i wonder where you get your info. i think it is important when you give statistics like that you have reliable information. I would call a nurse or doctor and find out for sure. when i was in the hospital and the baby didnt poop at least once a day the doctors and nurse freaked out and wanted to make sure that the baby was getting enough food from the milk and a lactation consultant came in to make sure the baby was latching on right. I disagree with myheartx4 and do not believe it is normal at all to go more then 3 days without a bowl movement. here is info from the babycenter.com

During the meconium phase (the first few days after birth), your baby may have four or five tarry, dark, greenish-black stools spread out over two or three days. As your colostrum develops into mature milk, he should have at least
    TaiM

Answer by TaiM at 11:09 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• During the meconium phase (the first few days after birth), your baby may have four or five tarry, dark, greenish-black stools spread out over two or three days. As your colostrum develops into mature milk, he should have at least two to five bowel movements in a 24-hour period for the first six weeks. He may even have had a bowel movement every time you change his diaper throughout the day.

http://www.babycenter.com/404_how-many-times-a-day-does-a-breastfed-baby-normally-poop_8832.bc
    TaiM

• TaiM, it IS normal and safe for an EBF baby to go 10-14 days without a bowel movement after the first few weeks. Some EBF babies go once a day, some several times a day, some every other day, some once a week, etc. When EBF, as long as the stools are not dry, hard, or pellet like, everything I mentioned is considered normal.

Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:25 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Many babies continue to have frequent bowel movements for as long as they are exclusively
    breastfeeding. Less frequent bowel movements—even as infrequent as once a week or once
    every ten days— may also be normal in an older breastfed baby if the baby is gaining normally
    (an average of 6 oz [170 gr] per week during the first three to four months and 4 to 5 oz [113
    to 142 gr] per week from four to six months).

From: http://www.llli.org/docs/39.pdf

This is just a snippet from La Leche League.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:29 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• This isn't an OLDER breastfed baby. He is only 3 days old. Please read, before you advise.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• If your baby hasn't pooped by tomorrow, call your doctor - it could be nothing, it could be a minor issue that needs a bit of help. My cousin's baby had some problems when he was a couple weeks old that required a minor laproscopic surgery, and he's a very happy, very healthy 10 month old now. It's not normal for a newborn to go too long without pooping. In all honesty, I would have at least called my hospital already and talked to a nurse - but that's just how we do things in my area.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Anon :50, if you were referring to ME, I did specify that it's normal for an older baby, but a newborn, I'd be concerned after a day or two with no bowel movements. I doubt you WERE referring to me, because another poster stated that it was ok for an EBF baby to go long periods.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:13 PM on Feb. 28, 2010