is it possible to train one to sleep in? lol

Not sure if this is a dumb question or not. BUt my young one who is 11 months old, has slept through the night since 4 months old, hes always went to bed at 8:30 and woke up at 8, over the last few months he gradually keeps waking up earlier, 7:30 then 7, now 6:30. Im hoping thats a stopping point at least. Is there a way to train him to sleep in, cause on top of that hes wanting to stay up later too. He didnt go to bed till 9:30 last night, and I figured he would sleep in a little but still got up at 6:30

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:54 AM on Feb. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Unfortunately if they still get up early every morning, you actually need to put them to bed earlier, or more naps during the day. A few of my kids will sleep in if I put them to bed later. But one son wakes up early no matter what time he goes to bed. Then if he didn't get enough sleep, he is whiny and cranky all day. He is a natural early riser and I don't think there is anything I can do to change that. You could try a couple nights of a later bedtime and see if he starts to adjust and sleep in. If he doesn't it looks like you will just be up early for a few years! Good luck!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:58 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• haha no he can't be trained to sleep in, not til he's 15 and moody!!! This is parenting at it's finest and part of it is getting up early. Some ideas-
    trade off with your partner- you get Saturday he gets Sunday in bed late. Make deal that whoever has to get up, chucks him in the pram and goes for a long walk so the other can sleep. Have a blanket and pillow under the couch, when you get up try to snooze a little- not so much that they wake the sleeping partner - that's not fair. Get the paper, circle all the garage sales in your area and set off on a mission, getting outside will make you feel better, grab a coffee on your way and away you go.
    Above all, instead of fighting this stage, embrace it as extra time your baby wants to be with you. You can't change the situation, but you can change how you respond to it
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 7:07 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Toddlers and young children are early risers.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:17 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• When mine were really young and they woke up early, I made sure not to feed them their breakfast until "normal" time - I wanted to make sure their tummies didn't ever get used to eating that early. You can try making things very boring in the morning with very little light and not be animated with them, until at least daylight. Once daylight hits, there's not a whole lot you can do. Some of it is inborn - I have a 12 year old who is an early riser, a 10 year old who keeps fairly normal hours, an 8 year old who will sleep as late as you let her, and a 15 month old who wakes around 7 without fail.

Answer by missanc at 8:25 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• One reason kids wake up early is that they go to bed too late. Even though 8:30 doesn't seem late to us it might be a little late for your LO. It might have worked before, but I would try to make the bed time a little earlier and see if that helps. Also I don't think it would work right now, but later like 15 mon. if he is still getting up early I would use a light with a timer. We did this with my DS and it worked great! I set the timer on a little light in his room and I do not get him before it goes off. Then I make a big deal about the light is on and it is time to get up. The only thing that really makes it work is consistency and never getting them before the light comes on. Good luck!
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 10:03 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• It's not normal to sleep 12 hours. Your baby is now having more normal sleep. If you let him stay up later he may sleep later. There is nothing wrong with letting a baby stay up until 11.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:07 AM on Feb. 28, 2010