My 7 month old still doesn't sleep thru the night....

Any advice?!?? She's still getting up 2-3 times.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:16 AM on Feb. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I disagree and don't think this is normal. Usually the reason babies wake up is because they are hungry. Too many people, and I am not saying this is you since I don't know what you feed your baby, think infants should have nothing but liquid for the first year. I have never understood that. My babies were both sleeping through the night at two to three months because they were not hungry at night. It might be that your baby is hungry or something else is going on. This is not a part of being a mom so don't believe that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• What are you doing to get her back to sleep when she wakes?

Answer by missanc at 8:20 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Normal. Normal. Normal.
    The vast majority of babies night wake to feed or to be changed or for snuggles etc. They also have much shorter sleep cycles and stay in light sleep longer than deep sleep than adults do. Even adults wake at least once a night for the same reasons even if they don't remember.
    If the baby goes back to sleep after a feed/change/etc, consider that a good pattern. If the sleep stretch is five hours, that is really considered a "sleep through" too.
    Some people are going to tell you to CIO. But I think that is a very bad idea, and can very easily backfire on you and mess with a perfectly fine sleep pattern. And it will really bite you in the butt if you have a high needs baby.

Babies sleep patterns often don't settle into a more adult pattern until age three or four. Also normal.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:24 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• I agree with amileegirl. Normal. My 2nd daughter didn't sleep thru the night until she was almost 3. She still woke in the middle of the night even after she was no longer eating formula or breast milk and would want a drink of water and a cookie or cracker. Then she would go right back to sleep. Don't sweat it.
    theladybugscafe

Answer by theladybugscafe at 8:32 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Advice? Wait. Seriously. This is normal. Just part of being a mom.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:29 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• It's normal for children to wake at night until they are 3. It's hardwired in their brain. For all of human history babies and toddlers have breastfed, slept with their mothers, and nursed at night. They wake to make sure they are still with their mothers and safe. It's all about survival. Cries are so irritating to make sure people hear a child that is in distress.

In most of the world children still breastfeed and sleep with their mothers. Mothers from other countries are shocked that women in the US put their babies in cages in another room, don't answer their cries, and ignore them all night.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:04 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• MY SON IS 14 MONTHS AND STILL WAKES UP ABOUT EVERY 2 HRS FOR A BOTTLE.
    AND CIO METHOD DOESNT WORK ON HIM, IT BACK FIRES AND HE WAKES UP COMPLETELY RATHER THAN GOING RIGHT BACK TO SLEEP IF I HAD JUST GIVEN HIM A BOTTLE.
    JUST HANG IN THERE..... ITS NORMAL. JUST NAP WHEN SHE NAPS IF YOU ARE SLEEP DEPRIVED.,
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 6:11 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• With respect to anon :49...it is 100% normal for them to wake even when they go to bed with full tummies. It's actually NOT so normal for them to sleep more than a couple of hours at a time.

It's developmental. Baby will sleep longer when baby does it. Nothing you do can influence that, unfortunately. And not sleeping IS part of the mom gig. It's in the contract. (My own mom warned me...no more eight hours till you're in the grave. And she was right. I have a ten year old. But it's always something....the kid the dog the husband the neighbors the job...eight hours? Forget it. Not happening.)

Answer by gdiamante at 9:35 PM on Mar. 1, 2010