Christians, what's your take on Noah's Ark?

My daughter has learned the story of Noah's Ark from her church-based pre-school. I was brought up to believe in the literal story of Noah's Ark in that it was an actual world-wide flood and two of all animals on earth were saved. As an adult I have a hard time believing that, but don't have an alternative explanation to give her. I would really like to hear from people who do believe in the literal interpretaion. How is it possible that Noah's family could build a boat big enough to fit two of each animal on earth - and how were they able to gather animals from other continents? If there are less literal Christian interpretations of this story, I would like to hear these as well.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:07 AM on Feb. 28, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I do believe a flood happened, as it's in all the religions' stories, not just the bible.

I think Noah did build a really big boat and got 2 of every animal he could get, but I do not believe the flood covered all land and that a lot of animals just saved themselves.

really, how could Noah have gotten a penguin or a polar bear? they don't live anywhere near where he was!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• I believe in the bible story. God has a holy spirit in which he used to guide the animals, peacefully, into the ark. It took Noah along time to build the ark. People must have thought he was loony because it had never rained before the flood. Imagine the tremedous amount of faith he and his family had in God. I wonder where he gathered his lumber and how he waterproofed it? I love the story.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 9:46 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• This should help with whether the flood was global or even real at all: http://www.watchtower.org/e/20080601/article_01.htm
    There are a great handful of sites and articles on the internet that show how all the animals needed to produce all the known species on earth right now could EASILY have fitted into the ark. It was far bigger than most picture. The ark was a collosal rectangluar box with 3 floors and covered in tar. It took 40 years to build and was quite up to the job at the end of it.

What reassurred me most when I learned about the flood and the ark was seeing that Jesus accepted and taught it as unquestionable fact. I would never doubt him. xxx

Greymulkin

Answer by Greymulkin at 10:27 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• i believe that there was a large flood that covered most of the known world. there are so many other stories from the same time in history that talk about great floods (Epic of Gilgamesh for one), so i see that as proof. if all they could see for miles was water and everyone around them died, why wouldnt they think the whole world was flooded? i think that most of the "out there" Bible stories were exaggerated as they were passed down before they were written down.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:31 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• I'm not Christian. However, due to the presence of this story though out the history, such as the story of Gilgamesh for example, I do believe there was a flood of great magnitude at one point. I would guess around the end of the ice age. However, due to the fact that Ancient civilizations on this side of the ocean don't have stories that correspond with this myth, it makes sense that it in fact flooded only the known world and not the entire world.

As for the Ark. It's impossible that any man could have gotten examples from every type of animal on earth on to this one boat. Penguins for example, would not have been accessible to Noah, nor would other animals that aren't available in that part of the world. Which again backs up the idea that this flood only covered the known world.

cont...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:33 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• It must be noted that IF this flood happened it would have happened thousands of years or more before the writers of the bible wrote it down. The story had been passed down from generation to generation through word of mouth. Like a giant game of Telephone.

If you are looking for a way to explain this to your daughter, which I honestly feel she's a little young for, play telephone for a while. Explain to her that just like the message you started the game with got changed through people retelling it, so did some of the stories in the bible. But that the important part of the stories isn't the cold hard facts, but the lessons they contain.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:38 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• How could it be possible? God. Think back on the times he has done things in your life that left you amazed and in awe. Think of this world we live in. He is the almighty.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 2:07 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• As a Christian mother its pretty important that you impress upon your children how great God is and how anything is possible with Gods help. God loves us and will help us when we need it. In a more logical sense I suppose more of the world was trees back then so much more wood would be available. Noah and many other men of the day worked with wood and construction and already knew how to do such projects quickly. People back then worked longer hours so he would have been working alot more than I would on it. Also you could talk to the teacher giving the lesson. Your daughter may not be asking questions in class. It could help you to ask too. You are never too old to learn....

God Bless

teacher

amber710

Answer by amber710 at 3:18 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• I believe in the literal interpretation of the great flood, just as it is reported in the Bible. I do not believe that any part of the Bible is fiction or an exageration. Sometimes as adults, our faith can start to faulter because God's miracles seem to not make sense to our mature, logical reasoning. I agree with the previous poster that talked about how important it is for you as a Christian mom to not put these seeds of doubts in your daughter's mind. I would suggest that you may need to review your own walk with the Lord. Maybe you need to spend more quiet time with Him and read the Bible again. When you read it this time, pray for the Holy Spirit to guide you so that you may better understand His Word.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:33 PM on Feb. 28, 2010