Why Kentucky did you throw Michigan under the bus? Senator Jim Bunning of Kentucky was the lone vote to Cut Michigan off Unemployment.

LINK: http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/latest_video/Congressman-Peters-Talks-Unemployment

More than 100-thousand people in Michigan will exhaust their unemployment insurance benefits in March without an extension.

tyme4me2day

Asked by tyme4me2day at 9:10 AM on Feb. 28, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm in Michigan. I have a college degree and I've been looking for work in any field, be it McDonald's, gas stations, or even in *gasp* my own field of expertise. There are hundreds of applicants for even 1 job. There are no decent jobs that will allow a person to support their family. The "stimulus" $$ stayed in Detroit or Lansing. As for the 100+ thousands of people that will lose unemployment? There's many more that have already lost it, along with their homes, their possessions and their dignity. I personally know people that have been employed at the same company for 20 years or more lose their job and their seniority.

Granholm's done nothing but wave buh-bye to the industries that supported this state...not just the auto industry but many other manufacturers of durable goods have left the state. Remember that campaign promise, Michigan ladies, that in 4 more years we'd be blown away? Well, she kept THAT one.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:26 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• sounds like 100-thousand people in MI should have been looking for jobs for a while now...

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Be glad its not you in the predicament.

Figures a Senator from Kentucky would cut Michigan off from unemployment; there was a day when people were flocking from Kentucky to Michigan taking jobs from GMC/Fisher body...Yep I remember very well.

Now that Michigan is in crises Senator Bunnings turns his back on us, when we gracely helped feed Kentucky's families with jobs when Michigan had them to offer; now we need the help to feed our families.

tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 9:18 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• How the hell long can they keep extending benefits ? At some point they HAVE to cut you off.
    PestPatti

Answer by PestPatti at 9:22 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• I applaud the congressman for sticking to his guns. Aside from the fact the extension was only for 2 months the states cannot afford the extensions that were approved earlier as it is. if you have been unemployed for 99 weeks, you aren't trying hard enough to get a job. Do you realize you can now be on unemployment for 101 weeks. Thats just shy of 2 freaking years. Why not just get on welfare and not get a job?
    This has to stop, These states are broke and the government keep obligating them to spend more and more money they don't have. Your taxes will go up because of it if they haven't already and then you will really be whining.
    Sorry, this may sound like a good idea but it isn't, far from it.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:26 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• So do any of you live in Michigan?
    tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 9:28 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• I hope nothing ever happens to you or your loved ones like this. In case you have had your head in the sand. The jobs in Michigan have been outsourced to other states and out of the country. Unemployment means there is no employment NO JOBS.

tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 9:31 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• So do any of you live in Michigan?

NOPE I live in NY, and we are losing jobs just like everyone else. Job losses suck, but you cant be on UEMPLOYMENT indefinately....
    PestPatti

Answer by PestPatti at 9:36 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• We can save Haiti and the earthquake countries but we cant save our own country?

tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 9:38 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• I hope nothing ever happens to you or your loved ones like this. In case you have had your head in the sand. The jobs in Michigan have been outsourced to other states and out of the country. Unemployment means there is no employment NO JOBS

Oh please the same thing happened here in NY, and has been happening for YEARS.... General Motors, General Electric, Carrier, Crouse Hinds, and other Manufacturing jobs have CLOSED UP.. JOBS are hard to come by, but NEVER ENDING UNEMPLOYMENT is not the ANSWER....
    PestPatti

Answer by PestPatti at 9:39 AM on Feb. 28, 2010