Vaginal bleeding for three weeks? Has anyone had this happen?

I am somewhere around seventeen weeks or so and have been bleeding/spotting for three weeks. I went immediately to the doctor's when it first started because I was freaking out. My first ob/gyn appointment wasn't until the eighth of march, but I was so upset I went right over with bloody pants. The doctor did a brief ultra sound and found the heart beat and said that the bleeding is normal and should go away within a couple of days. After it continued for two weeks, I called the office and a nurse told me it was ok as long as the blood isn't bright red. The spotting I'm having is a darker brown and that's good because it is old blood. It's been three weeks and I'm still bleeding.

Has anyone had this happen before? No one has told me what it is.

bluelady27

Asked by bluelady27 at 10:14 AM on Feb. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• That does NOT sound normal. I say, get another opinion from a different doctor.
    elena_rae

Answer by elena_rae at 10:19 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• I had bleeding with my pregnancy. I wasn't in my 2nd trimester, though. I started bleeding at 8 weeks, and bled heavily (bright red, lost of blood) for 4 weeks. At first I went to the ER. U/S showed heartbeat. Next day, I passed pinkish-grayish tissue in the shower, followed by lots of blood. Trip to the doctor showed healthy heartbeat. Turns out, we lost a twin. While my doctor never SAID that, it's the ONLY possible reason for the tissue and bleeding.

Good luck! Some women bleed during pregnancy. While it's not "normal", it is common.
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 10:28 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• that happened to me and they did an ultrasound, my placenta was bleeding. luckily it gradually stopped and my baby is ok. go to the hospital and demand an ultrasound.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• oh sorry, that doesnt mean that your placenta is bleeding, but get check. get an ultrasound
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Feb. 28, 2010