Odd Potty Training Question

For some reason my son won't use the potty if he has anything on his legs. So we've been using diapers when we go out in public even though he usually doesn't go in it. The thing is though if you try sitting him on the potty with shoes, socks, pants, and underwear on he just holds it in and gets angry. Anyone else have this problem? How did you fix it?

I'm really not willing to "just make him" or anything. I'm not going to make him sit on the potty with pants and everything on and watch him scream himself red.

nerdyma7

Asked by nerdyma7 at 10:27 AM on Feb. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• LOL I know that it is very common for kids to go the best or easiest when they are naked atleast from the waist down. I would just let it go for now till they get better at going potty just have him wear something that has easy on/off acess.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 10:56 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• have something in ur pocket that u can hand him when he is sitting on the potty, like a toy car or a sucker. mabe he will get distracted and go.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 1:06 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• I would start by taking the time to take off his pants, shoes, underwear, and letting him go potty that way while you're in public. It takes extra time, but you can make it work. You can even bring the potty ring you use at home so he feels comfortable doing it while you're out for awhile. These little quirks, I have found, work themselves out the more comfortable they get with the process. Maybe once you have him going reliably in public, you can work with him at home little by little... first with just his underwear around his ankles. Maybe a time when you know he's going to just pee and be done. Don't put on a lot of pressure, but I would bet after awhile you'll be able to achieve this... then just add clothes. Finally, once you know he can go with his shoes on, you can try it in public.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:50 PM on Feb. 28, 2010