I am 32 weeks and work full time 8 hours a day as a nurse. I am on my feet all day and my feet and legs are swollen by the end of the day. When should I go on leave?

michellec21

Asked by michellec21 at 10:30 AM on Feb. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I went on leave at 39 weeks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• I worked as a medical lab technologist, hematology supervisor until 40 weeks. I didn't have my baby for 2 more weeks and I hated the waiting and not working. I would have worked until I went into labor if I could have. I was a lot of the day. You had to stand to operate the main hematology machine.

Swollen legs are normal during pregnancy. During your lunch break put your feet up. If you can lay down that would be great.

Nurses usually only know about the field they are working in and not about everything. My son is a cardiac nurse and you can ask him anything about the heart. He calls me and asks me breastfeeding and baby health stuff.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:40 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• My sister is a nurse; she was as work when she went into labor

Answer by rkoloms at 10:51 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• I had swelling with my first until the day she was born, swollen legs, feet and all. Exercise is actually really good for the swelling and my doctor recommended increasing the amount of water you are drinking to help reduce the swelling. Sounds backwards but it did help! Good luck!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:21 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• If I were you, I'd stop now if I was so uncomfortable. I stopped working at 7 months and have no plans of going back. My son is now 5 months old, lol.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 11:52 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• ARE YOU KIDDING ME? YOU'RE A FREAKING NURSE. WE SHOULD BE ASKING YOU THESE QUESTIONS. WHERE DO YOU WORK SO I CAN NEVER EVER GO THERE FOR MEDICAL HELP?

banging head into wall

Anonymous

• Just because she's a nurse does not mean she works in Labor/Delivery...maybe she works with the elderly for all you know...
    Anyway, I guess it depends how long you feel you can go and what your own comfort level is. If you can afford to take off early I'd say go for it. I stopped working 4 wks before DD was born, and I had a desk job but I was so uncomfortable sitting ALL day. Check with supervisors too and see what their input is too I guess. Good luck!
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 2:57 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• thanks to all the people who gave nice responses.
    michellec21

Answer by michellec21 at 10:43 AM on Mar. 1, 2010