im only 17 weeks and having braxton hicks contrations already, and i was told that they shouldnt be painful

mine have been pretty painful. Usually when i get up and walk aroun they go away but is this a bad sign? is something wrong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Feb. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• sounds like you are confusing your uterus stretching and expanding with braxton hicks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• well it is like cramping pain and my doctor told me that they were braxton hicks.. this is my 2nd pregnancy and i remember having sharp short pains which i was told was the stretching and this is more like period long like cramping.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• I had similar BH with my second and 3rd pregnancies.

the way my midwife explained it is that after baby #1, you are more aware of what happens in a pregnancy. Noticing the BH sooner, feeling the kicks and baby moving sooner, etc.

with baby #3, I started getting BH at about 15 weeks. Warm baths help, changing positions and walking like you mentioned help too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• when i was with my first, i got these every time i had sex after the fourth month and then when i ran after the seventh. the ones after sex were incredibly painful! my father in law, an ob, told me they were nothing to worry about and to sit in a warm bath or have my husband rub my back... i am hoping they dont come back around this time!
    mrsmostafa

Answer by mrsmostafa at 11:28 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• you can or may have an infection I was having them with my first went to the hospital and they told me I had a UTI
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 11:35 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• you actually have BH your entire pregnancy- when you notice them and how intense they are varies from woman to woman & pregnancy to pregnancy. In subsequent pregnancies you tend to notice them sooner.

RippledBegonias

Answer by RippledBegonias at 12:11 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Whoever told you that is crazy. Braxton hicks CAN hurt. And PP is right...you have BH your whole pregnancy...the more times your pregnant the sooner you notice them. Your first pregnancy you hardly notice them til the end....but after your2nd or third you can notice them sooner in the pregnancy. you're fine. good luck and congrats
    Anonymous

• mine were MORE painful than my real labor contractions. i had them starting at 17 weeks this pregnancy
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 3:45 PM on Feb. 28, 2010