popping limbs out of socket

my hubby was swinging my son by the arms (he loves it) and ended up popping his elbow out of the socket. Has anyone else had their child or know of someone else that has had something similar like this happen?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Feb. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• One of my sons had problems with this. His brother did it to him the first time pulling him by the arm across the floor. After that it could pop out very easily. After several ER visits they showed me what to do. We had to be very careful with that arm and we couldn't even do things like hold that hand while walking.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:17 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• that's the reason you aren't supposed to swing kids around like that. It's dangerous and can seriously injure them!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• OMG....I can't believe that you guys don't know how dangerous it is to swing kids around...not to mention tossingt them in the air. Just don't do it!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• It's very common. I accidentally popped my son's elbow out while trying to guide him through a door when he was 2 1/2. And once it happens it is very easy to dislocate again so be careful. Just like 2 weeks after the first time I playing with him (not even roughly) and heard a loud pop and then he started whimpering and whining his arm hurt. Luckily I learned how to pop it back in place and let me tell you that is 10 times harder then it sounds because it hurts the kid and no one wants to purposefully hurt their child.
    He's 8 now and fine and hasn't had an incident with his elbow in 6 years.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:50 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Come on people, don't bash her for not knowing the dangers of it! I remember my parents and older siblings doing that to us when we were kids. I have never known anyone that dislocated a joint, until recently. We don't do it, never have really, but if I hadn't heard our neighbor kid had that problem I wouldn't have known the danger.
    I am sure the OP will not allow that anymore for her kids, now that she knows the danger of it. When you know better, you do better.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:56 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Pulled elbow, a mild dislocation that occurs in children, is often called a ""nursemaid's elbow.'' It happens when a sudden yank on the child's arm pulls the two forearm bones out of line. It occurs most frequently in children 1 to 4 years old. Because the chances of the dislocation recurring are high for 3 to 4 weeks after this injury, it is important to avoid pulling the child's arm during this period. The dislocation usually results from pulling the child's arm--even just to swing the youngster around. The problem is more likely in children with a birth defect that causes the elbow to pull out of its socket easily.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• It happens. It actually happened to me a lot as a kid (but it was all my joints). Just take them to the ER and they will pop it back in. No real harm done.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:26 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• YOUCH!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:37 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Children, especially very young children, are naturally hypermobile in the joints (joint laxity), and you really should be more careful. Dislocating a joint once in a while isn't too harmful, but if it happens often, you can seriously damage the joint and even the child's growth plate for that limb. When it happens, pop the dislocated joint back in (or take the child to the ER for them to do it), ice it if it appears swollen or tender (unlikely in a young child, but better safe than sorry), and have the child's doctor check the joint for injury if you didn't go to the ER. Be extra careful with that joint from that point on because repeated injury can result in permanent damage. If easy joint dislocation continues to occur as a child grows (say past 6 or 7 years of age), consider physical therapy exercises to over-strengthen the muscles around the affected joint to try to prevent further injury.
    Anonymous