Better to give her junkfood than nothing or better for her to eat nothing than to have junk food?

When my daughter(Jo) won't eat, my husband would rather give her junkfood than let her go hungry. I'm just the opposite. I think giving her junkfood only tells her that "it's ok to not eat your dinner cause dad will give me treats anyway" And i also think it tells her that I;m the "bad guy" and she can play us. She's 22mo. What do you think?

kathi111

Asked by kathi111 at 1:33 PM on Jun. 26, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When I first read the title I thought it was going to be that there was NO food and for some reason junk was the absolute only thing that was available. However, in the situation you've described I would definitely NOT give her junk! If she gets hungry enough she WILL eat, a child isn't going to starve themselves.
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 1:36 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• I agree with you. I would just keep offering a wide variety of things often and trust me, she will eat when she gets hungry. You'll eventually hit on things that she likes that are good for her once she realizes NO JUNK as a replacement. I would tell dad to lose the junk food!
    asmith62877

Answer by asmith62877 at 1:37 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• NO JUNK FOOD! veto your DH, LOL! it's the *best* way to make sure your daughter doesn't become a picky eater. when she gets hungry enough, she'll eat what's put before her.
    retz

Answer by retz at 1:43 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• When I was a child I was a very picky eater. One night I wanted peanut butter and jelly for dinner. My doctor had told my mom to only give me what she makes for dinner and if I didn't eat I didn't eat. I went 5 days without eating. Mom called the doc and he said, "Give her anything she wants!", which oddly was a banana. Anyway, having said that, I agree with the doc and you. She eats what you give her (healthy food that I'm sure tastes good) or she doesn't eat. Just like me, she's testing her limits. If I didn't die after not eating for 5 days, missing a meal or two to teach her you know what's best for her won't either. Good Luck!
    HaydensMommy708

Answer by HaydensMommy708 at 1:56 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• You are not a short order cook...At our house I make one meal for dinner and if they don't eat it, that's it. And I watch what they eat and if they don't even touch their food I make sure to feed them a good, filling breakfast like oatmeal the next day. AND if they eat really good or try a food that they've either never had before or say they don't like, then they are more likely to get a treat after dinner. Remember that your childs taste buds change about every couple months so what they don't like one day, they may love it the next!
    queen_tut

Answer by queen_tut at 2:34 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• Children learn to control very quickly...give plenty of healthy options and your child will eat with you. Urge your husband to side with you...a collective front is best.

Junky foods will do more harm in the long run than a few skipped meals...
    1funkymomma

Answer by 1funkymomma at 2:41 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• Boy, does she know how to work Daddy already! He is going to be in SOOOO much trouble as she gets bigger.

I agree with you. She knows that if she doesn't eat, Daddy will take pity on her poor little hungry self and give her sweets. I don't know if you will be able to change his behavior but try! It's very BAD for her to have the junk and the control.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:03 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• I think it depends on the junk food. There is "junk" food that is a little healthy. Does she like ice cream, or graham crackers. Teddy grahams are a good snack. And the ice cream provides calcium that she needs. Try apples with caramel sauce. Hopefully she'll think its more candy than fruit.
    amoremio

Answer by amoremio at 4:49 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• Also, I had some of the same issues when mine was little. I refused to let her have junk food and nothing else. I asked the doctor and he told me that kids will eat if they are hungry. Just make sure she stays hydrated. Don't let her have the control tho! good luck
    amoremio

Answer by amoremio at 4:52 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• No Junk food. You should really have a talk with your Hub about how he handles it. Men seem to be more immature and give into situations like that, so you need to explain to him why you don't want him giving your kid junk insteed of letting her hunger it out until she eats her veggies, dinner, or whatever it is that you would like her to eat insteed.
    KittenMorris

Answer by KittenMorris at 5:26 PM on Jun. 26, 2008