Should I be worrried about my six month old?

She still cant roll over, sit or crawl. She does not even try. Should i be worried or is it still too early? When should i be worried?

BellaBean23

Asked by BellaBean23 at 12:05 PM on Feb. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you still have time each baby is soooo different! i know some that dont walk till almost 2 or at 2, my dd walked at 8 months never crawled! so you know each is so different i wouldn't worry yet
    aliciaDnewman25

Answer by aliciaDnewman25 at 12:07 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Once your baby has head control, and about the same time that he learns to sit on his own, he'll learn to roll over. He'll eventually learn to flip over from his back to his tummy and vice versa, and he'll use his newfound skill to get around a bit. The incentive for those early rolls is often an elusive toy — or you. Your baby may be able to kick himself over, from his tummy to his back, as early as age 2 to 3 months. It may take him until he's about 5 or 6 months to flip from back to front, though, because he needs stronger neck and arm muscles for that maneuver. At 5 months your baby will probably be able to lift his head, push up on his arms, and arch his back to lift his chest off the ground. He may even rock on his stomach, kick his legs, and swim with his arms. All these exercises help him develop the muscles he needs to roll over in both directions — likely by the time he's about 6 months old.

Anonymous

• My oldest was a bit of a lazy baby :D He didn't crawl until 8 months and he sat up on his own around that time too. I would talk to her doc about it, but not stress too much. Also make sure she gets lots of tummy time to strengthen those tummy muscles which is what she needs to get up and moving..
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:09 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• I would be concerned. You can ask the doctor for your baby to be evaluated. If your baby is having developmental delays early intervention can do wonders. Your baby may need physical therapy.

A problem with not sitting at 6 months would be having problems with eating and nutrition. If your baby is breastfed then you don't have to worry for a couple of months yet if your baby can't eat much. If your baby is formula fed then there may be nutrition concerns. If babies don't get proper nutriton in the first 12 months the brain doesn't develop as well. Babies with developmental problems can stop growing or have failure to thrive.

I had a child with developmental delays and early therapy did wonders! The most important thing, the thing that can't be corrected later is brain development.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:14 PM on Feb. 28, 2010