Have you seen many small businesses close?

I've seen some nice local businesses close. Some ran by the nicest, Kindest most talented people. Then this economy forces their closings! How sad is this? Then I know some of the rudest, meanest people in business that remain open. I don't get it.I recall a boss of mine turning down A grieiving family. The family had a Missing Daughter. They wanted to only put up a picture of their lost DD & a number to call. My boss rudely said no. We don't want that here. Then after he rudly turned away the family. He joked and said, that missing girl was in his pocket and patted his pocket! That so touched me and I couldn't imagine him being so uncaring! That poor girl was never found to date. Sad. So onto my question. Any local businesses closing that hurt your community?

Angellinda

Asked by Angellinda at 12:07 PM on Feb. 28, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Chicago has lost so many small businesses; there are blocks of empty storefronts. It is sad and disheartening. The country is being "walmarted"

Answer by rkoloms at 12:10 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• We've lost small businesses, but we've also lost a lot of big stores like Borders, Circuit City, Linens N Things, etc. If larger businesses cannot make it in this economy, smaller businesses are going to have a difficult time too. It's just the way things are, sadly. Some businesses are better at bookkeeping and getting financing to stay afloat. My dh is a CPA and does bookkeeping for small businesses. The ones whose books are always a mess, are the ones that are closing. My husband tries to help those people get things in order, but sometimes it's too late. Some people just have a hard time with the actual nuts and bolts of running a business and end up hurting.
    Anonymous

• I am seeing more and more homeless people on the streets begging for money or even holding signs asking for a job. I gave a couple dollars to the nicest man yesterday. He said he had been fired months ago and cant find a job because of his age. He looked to be around late 50's or early 60's. It was the saddest thing. He asked me if I knew anyone hiring. Which I dont. I have friends that just got out of college and cant find work doing what they got degrees in. The economy is really bad.
    ellegrl

Answer by ellegrl at 12:48 PM on Feb. 28, 2010