Is anyone else tired of your current SAHM occupation?

So before you go bashing me for being a horrible parent bc I always wanted to be more than just a SAHM, let me explain. I love my kids, don't get me wrong, but I always wondered what it would be like if I had focused on my career first rather than on starting a family. I worked up until my daughter was born 3 yrs ago, and while I love spending time with her, I wish I had gone back to work. I don't really feel rewarded by being a SAHM and I get tired of the same thing day in and day out with no recognition for a job well done, I mean when you are working there are other adults around you, you get raises if you do a good job, etc. Not the case when you are staying at home with your kids.

dizzy77702

Asked by dizzy77702 at 12:31 PM on Feb. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• I love being home with my daughter, but the winter does drive me absolutely BONKERS! I can't wait for spring to get here, so we can get out of the house. I'm sure my daughter is going a little stir crazy too. She's always bringing her jacket to me and saying Bye Bye! Poor thing! lol
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:37 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• I flipped-flopped my decision on being a SAHM and a working mom. When I was working, I want to be a SAHM, when I was a SAHM, I wanted to be a working mom. Right now, I have the best of both worlds, I work 8-2:30. My son is in school from 7:45-2:45. Have you considered getting a part time job and have your daughter in a 2 or 3 day preschool program? You will still get to spend time with her and you will get to work.

Anonymous

• I've been home with my son for 18 months and have been trying to get back into the work force for the last 6 months. It's so bleak out there it's depressing that I haven't found anything yet. Anyway, I totally get it. I love being home with my son, but I miss adult interaction, I miss challenging my mind and having more in my day than runny noses and poopy diapers. I know when I do finally find something it will absolutely break my heart to leave my son during the day, but I think for my sanity it is what is best.

It's so hard - I want to be with my son 24/7, but I want to work and be in the working world too. I wish I could have it all!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 12:44 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• I agree there are no increases in pay being a SAHM but as an older mom, you reward comes later. When your children are older they will make you proud and you will not regret any sacrifice you made. Having said that however, why don't you try to get a part time job? For a lot of moms their job is also a social life. Or try a direct selling co. That will also get you out of the house. I sell Avon and it has made me alot of friends over the years. Message me if you want more info, I would love to have you on my team. If that doesn't appeal, there are lots others, some party plans, others not. They allow you to adjust your schedule where as working for someone else may not.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 12:48 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• I did get tired of it, and that's why I got a part-time job for a few days a week in the evening when my husband would be home to take care of our daughter and get her to bed. Now that he's medically retired, I'm going back to school and I'm finishing up a degree right now, and plan on working when I'm done. I don't see it as being a bad parent. My husband enjoys being home and being a stay-at-home-dad while working part-time with my dad. It works for us.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 12:49 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• No, I have been a SAHM for 23 years and I am not tired of it. I stay very busy during the day and I am looking forward to next year when it's just hubby and I at home and he and I can travel whenever we choose and do whatever we want. If i had a job we'd be limited because we'd have 2 schedules to work around.
    Anonymous

• I totally understand and that's why ima full time student now and SAHM. I'm in school mon-thur from 8am to 1pm. I love it. It doesn't take away from me being a good mom, just make me feel more fulfilled as a woman.
    ProudMammaMia

Answer by ProudMammaMia at 2:27 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• I understand this is why I went back to work and school. I got tired of hearing where are my clean clothes why on the floor or from the SO what did you do today why are there dishes in the sink why is the laundry still outside how late were you in bed? I went back to work also because I needed a life outside of my kids and now they are older I have that!! you need to be fulfilled to give back to your family it only helps!!

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 4:24 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• I totally understand how you feel.....
    Anonymous

• I def understand too. When my daughter starts pre school I am hoping to get a part time job from 9-2. Wish me luck! lol
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 9:17 PM on Feb. 28, 2010