Min. Wage and Cost of Living.?

So I got caught up reading what the minimum wage is in some states, most states appear to be higher than mine. Im guessing thats because of the cost of living. But seriously...Even if you worked FULL time at minimum wage, you couldnt afford to survive. It is really ridiculous, how can it be possible to pay people this little amount and expect them to live without help. Either way your going to fail, you either cant afford child care, or you cant afford to work! ...youd have to have multiple roomates and live like a college student to thrive off of min. wage. Lord this economy SUCKS!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:05 PM on Feb. 28, 2010 in Money & Work

• don't I know it here in utah there are no jobs I was working at walmart but it wasn't working out due to having to pay a sitter it was taking most of my check every two weeks I would suggest find out what kind of jobs there are out there that require the degrees you already have and have a high need of help you could be a school secretary teachers aid or something
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 1:38 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• I know what you mean! I make minimum wage right now as a daycare worker. I have been told that I need to go to college if I wanted to better myself. HaHaHa, I have a Bachelor's degree in education and I am working on my Master's degree. I can't find any work other than a daycare worker or a cashier. Yes, this economy really sucks.

Anonymous

• Where do you both live? I'm in California, and a preschool teacher with just an Associates Degree, and make 26K/year- far more than minimum, that's for sure! Also, with a Bachelor Degree in Education, you can qualify as an Academic Counselor in most Colleges, and in this state that pays 35K to start.
    Anonymous

• Most min wage jobs are saved for high school or college students, to get "experience" and there are enough min wage jobs out there that are able to provide tips on top which makes it worth your while.
    Anonymous

• If you have 2 people making minimum wage here you could manage. My sons make $8.35 an hour (they are high schoolers) and if they worked 32 hours a week they'd bring home about $200 a week. A person could work 32 hours at one job and 8-16 hours at a 2nd job and make $220-$300 a week. If you were married and you both worked one 32 hour a job and one 8-16 hour a week job you'd bring home about $2400 a month. Around here the max you would pay for a 1 bedroom apartment with utilities and basic cable & sometimes basic Internet included will be $700 a month. That leaves $1700 a month for groceries, a car payment and car insurance. That should be enough to manage on for 2 people. If you were single you could manage as well. You would just want to look at something like a stuido apt.. My son rented one with all utilities paid for $500 a month. That would leave $700-$800 for groceries and basic livign expenses. You could do it.
    Anonymous

• People forget that minimum wage jobs were not meant to support a family.
    FL2AK

Answer by FL2AK at 4:33 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Sadly, this country will never have Living Wage Laws.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:52 AM on Mar. 2, 2010