at what age did you start potty training?

my son will be two april 1st and im seven months pregnant, i want to start potty traing him but not exactly sure if he's ready. If i ask him if he went pepe he'll grab onto the front of his diaper and nod his head yes. Just like with poop i'll ask him and he'll say yes and turn around so i can check. He's constantly yaking off his diaper and pants. What kanda things did your children do to show you that they were ready and what is a good way to start potty training? this is my first and no one else in my family haas a boy, lol so any advice would be a life saver!!! thanks:)

shorty_18

Asked by shorty_18 at 1:07 PM on Feb. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• http://www.pampers.com/en_US/potty-kit-request

here is a free kit for you to use
    Anonymous

• I'm all for training on the early side. My first daughter we trained at 19 months. She didn't even sound as "ready" as your son... she did hide to poop and would sometimes say "poo poo" when she did it, but that was it. We just went straight to diapers (there's some info on a so-called "3-day" method that we kind of followed, with our own modifications, on the "potty training moms" discussion group). Essentially we just got rid of diapers, stayed home with her and focused on potty training. We moved her to the potty whenever she started to have an accident. She was fully trained, telling us whenever she had to go, etc, within about 10 days. My little on is 17 months now and she's in underwear already. We're still working with her on getting her to tell us when she needs to pee, but she tells us whenever she has to poop and will happily sit and pee if we ask her to. So I'm here to say it can be done. Check out that group.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:42 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• I just wanted to add: a lot of moms will say be careful not to "push" or start to early, or you'll be sorry. I think it depends on what kind of method you're going to use... if you are going to do a more "child-led" approach where you wait for your child to really start asking to go and be totally interested, it can take sometimes until 3 years old for that to happen. If you do it really gradually, making pull-ups or even diapers available, it can take a really long time and you can go back and forth between training and not training. I've found that just making the switch and then working patiently and lovingly with your child to achieve success is very, very effective. Check out this article, too:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kirsten-dirksen/who-decides-when-to-potty_b_265227.html
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:45 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• I potty trained my daughter about 2 months after her 2nd birthday. We tried the pullups but for her they were just another kind of diaper so we used those for bedtime/naptime only. During the day she was in panties so she could feel when she was wet when she had an accident. After about 3 days of accidents and running to the potty with her, it just clicked. My son will be 2 in a couple weeks and I've debated about starting potty training with him. He know when he's pooped cuz he'll come to me and tell me, "I poopy" but I dunno. I'd love to have him potty trained before June when our new baby gets here but I don't just think that's going to happen.

Good luck!
    grooveybabe004

Answer by grooveybabe004 at 5:34 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Just FYI, boys can be more difficult to potty train and he may not actually be ready/willing to use the potty until he is over 3yrs. That said...

I love the Bjorn potty I had for my second; it has a relatively comfortably high back and is easier to clean than those musical ones with the nooks and crannies for urine and feces to get under. You can easily hose this potty down if necessary. I'd get a potty now (perhaps one for upstairs and one for downstairs) and leave it in the bathroom. I'd encourage it's use, but don't fustrate yourself if he isn't taking to it right away.

happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 5:41 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• "I've found that just making the switch and then working patiently and lovingly with your child to achieve success is very, very effective."

I've trained two; one of each gender. "Just making the switch" did not work with my first (a boy) but did with my second (a girl).
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 5:43 PM on Feb. 28, 2010