Anyone know how onions affect your body? Maybe TMI.

I know they're healthy and good for you, and I eat them often...but, it seems like my body odor (under arms) sometimes smells like onions! I was wondering if it actually has anything to do with eating them, or if that's just how some people's BO smells...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:30 PM on Feb. 28, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Our skin is porous and we do have an odor. What we eat affects how we smell.
    Anonymous

• That happens to me too! If I eat onions more than a couple times a week I smell like onions for a month afterward. I don't think it's harmful, just wear extra strong deodorant and shower more often I guess lol.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:31 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Certain foods will stay in the blood stream for a long time. They can be detected on your breath, sweat, skin, etc. It's not "hygiene" and extra deodorant is not safe. Many deodorants contain aluminum and have been linked to breast cancer.

Drink more water. Flush your system faster.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 2:34 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• I absolutely cannot eat raw onions. Not only do they come from my pores (like you were explaining) but I also get bad headaches from them that won't go away with medicine. I drink alot of water anyways and that doesn't help at all for me. Fresh garlic in large quantities does the same thing to me. I can eat them cooked with no ill effects. Most people think I am crazy when I mention this. Good to know I'm not crazy...and alone! LOL.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 2:54 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Deodorant does NOT contain aluminum. Anti-perspirants do. Just FYI. There are lots of natural deodorants that are perfectly safe, and the link between aluminum-containing anti-perspirants and breast cancer has not be unequivocally proven, and in fact, has been DISproven in several studies. It's just one possibility, and should definately be researched and considered by anyone using anti-perspirants. I myself choose to use them only occaisionally because of this link, but I don't avoid them alltogether.

And showering extra will help the smell from building up. When I eat too many raw onions I have to wipe down my pits sometimes with a wet washcloth halfway through the day lol.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 3:21 PM on Feb. 28, 2010