How can I make a move from Colorado to Mississippi less stressful when I have two kids ages 4 and 1 and a husband that will not help me?

cheyandguilimom

Asked by cheyandguilimom at 1:30 PM on Feb. 28, 2010 in Travel

• Become militaristic and MAKE THEM HELP. Take away privileges, stop making their meals (until they comply), etc. It might not make things stress-free, but at least you'd have some assistance.
    Anonymous

• Hi there Neighbor! I am in Grand Junction!

Why won't your dh help? Is he not excited by the move?Also how long do you have before the move?
    I would make sure to keep a box by the front door for the must have items for traveling and when you get there. Put things in there like a coffee pot, toilet paper, any important documents...lease info, IDs , maps, and such, also things like spare keys, a marker and anything you think you might need.
    Then start one room at a time. Anything you can live without for the next few weeks pack first. Leave the must haves for right before you go. Also get rid of stuff NOW. There is no sense in moving something, just to get rid of it later.
    As for your kids, make it fun. Who can hand you the paper, tape, markers. Who can help mommy get their toys ready to move?

I would really find out why your dh won't help.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:39 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Moved many times and now my 3 sons are now grown. You would think having moved a lot they would know a lot. They still think things like, "We can do it all in a day." When you know it is going to take several people a week to get everything done!

If you have the money hire a friend or look on Craigslist and hire someone to help you. I've done that and gotten GREAT help from college students. Going rate for moving where I live is $10 and hour. You could find someone to help you pack or help you with your kids for less. You could hire a neighbor tween or teen to help with packing or with your kids. One move 11 year old twins helped as well as adults and were easier to be around.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:54 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• we lived in northeast and northwest MS on two different occassions. Let me know if you need help with the surroundings if you are going to be anywhere near there.
    GL,- Miss. is like no other state in the Union and believe me, that's not a good thing.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:32 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• As far as the hubby goes, I'm not sure that anyone can make anyone do anything.
    jewjewbee

• My children try to help it's the husband that won't and I'm not going to stop cooking for a 4 year old and a 1 year old. My husband I have no problem not feeding but my kids will eat. My 1 year old's way of helping is to get slobber all over everything and my 4 year old Lord bless her soul will help put things into boxes. Why is it that you Anonymous where the only one who thought that my children would not help. LOOK AT THEIR AGES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    cheyandguilimom

Answer by cheyandguilimom at 7:31 PM on Mar. 1, 2010