Daughter is throwing terrible tantrums

My daughter is 16 months old and is throwing out of this world tantrums. lol.
It's like all of a sudden she has an attitude towards everyone. She wants picked up then she wants down. She wants this then she doesnt want it. She's hungry but she won't eat. She cries and screams a lot and it's very frustrating for my boyfriend and I because we want to make her happy. She has her good days but some days are just horrible to where the whole house gets stressed out. I am a new mother and am not sure if if toddlers hit their terrible twos slowly? is she around that age?My boyfriend wants to take care of her and play with her...and at times she just won't have it....In the morning times she wants nothing to do with him....he cant hold her, cant change her or anything....and she will only let him feed her if I am not in the room. If I walk in the room then she rather sit on me.Do toddlers go through phases with certain people?

ashleys88s

Asked by ashleys88s at 1:30 PM on Feb. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Um, probably you are giving all your attention to the boyfriend and not your child...thus the tantrums. I would ditch the damn boyfriend and start being a mom... just sayin...
    Anonymous

• Temper tantrums range from whining and crying to screaming, kicking, hitting, and breath holding. They're equally common in boys and girls and usually occur between the ages of 1 to 3. Kids' temperaments vary dramatically — so some kids may experience regular tantrums, whereas others have them rarely. They're a normal part of development and don't have to be seen as something negative. Unlike adults, kids don't have the same inhibitions or control. Tantrums are common during the second year of life, a time when children are acquiring language. Toddlers generally understand more than they can express. Imagine not being able to communicate your needs to someone — a frustrating experience that may precipitate a tantrum. As language skills improve, tantrums tend to decrease.

Anonymous

• Kids that age can be very frustrated. Tantrums are usually best handled by ignoring them. No lectures after. Just ignore it. If the tantrum doesn't get the child anything then they will decrease in nurmber and may stop.

Love & Limits is a great little book about toddlers and parenting. It's by Elizabeth Crary. She has a website called Star Parenting.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:37 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• its probably due to her lack of being able to communicate with you EXACTLY what she wants.and it could be terrible twos as well. this too shall pass.
    mywonderyears

Answer by mywonderyears at 1:38 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• I would say the "terrible two" start aroung 18 months and then taper off around 2, and the start up again around 2 1/2. Right now your LO is starting to comprehend a lot more and is becoming more independent. This is very NORMAL behavior! It's time to start setting some ground rules and showing her that she's no longer in charge the way an infant is. Patience is the key!
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 1:52 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Idk, my daughter's not even 1 yet and throws them. She throws herself on the floor, screams at the top of lungs, etc.
    Same thing, she's hungry, but doesn't want to be fed, you give her food to feed herself and all she does is play, she doesn't want to play with her toys but wants everything the adults have in their hands. It is very frustrating.

And I also think you don't have to "ditch your boyfriend."
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 2:23 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Oooohhhh, this can be a terrible age for tantrums.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 5:20 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Sounds like a normal 16 month old to me. Terrible 2's started around that age with my daughter (3yrs) and my son is just getting into it. He'll be 2 in about 2 weeks. As long as she's not hurting herself, I agree with Gailll, just ignore them. It will pass!
    grooveybabe004

Answer by grooveybabe004 at 5:25 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Thanks Guys. Today she had a tantrum outside and we just ignored her....and in a few minutes she kind of settles down...for the most part. lol...She started playing with a leaf then walked up to us and touched my leg, but was still crying so we picked her up...and then laid her down for a nap.Sooo, right now the house is quiet. It's actually difficult to handle these types of situations, when you want to pick them up and cuddle them...but that really doesn't help either...considering she just pushes me away.

and to the lady who said....get rid of the boyfriend..you can fuck off =] have a nice day.
    ashleys88s

Answer by ashleys88s at 6:32 PM on Feb. 28, 2010