How do I avoid hurting her feelings?

I am renewing my wedding vows in 2013 and I want to ask my 2 grown daughters to walk me down the aisle. I have a step son and step daughter who live in Florida and they are grown too but they will be here for the wedding. I am afraid my SD will be hurt I didn't ask her too. I could ask her then it would be 4 of us walking down the aisle which is odd but to be honest I just want my 2 girls . Am I wrong to not include her? My girls will be 24 and 27 and my SD will be 30.

lich663

Asked by lich663 at 1:37 PM on Feb. 28, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• Why don't you have the step kids walk with their father down the isle when it is his turn and then your girls walk you down the isle when it is your turn? Then no one has hurt feelings.
    I would not exclude her, it will just cause hurt feelings.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:47 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• I think its kind of wierd to have them walk you down the isle. That would be your parent's role if they are alive. All 3 could be bride's maids and problem solved. If your father or mother aren't living then walk down the isle alone.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:40 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• I would ask her too.You're gonna make her feel less than as important than your bio kids.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 1:42 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Have the steps as attendants if they want to be in it, not walking down the aisle. I cannot imagine them wanting to at those ages but ask

Answer by admckenzie at 1:47 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• why is it wierd? You can chose whoever you want. I am 46 and my parents are dead. I didnt have my SD with me for most of the years. She has a mom there in Florida....I dont know
    lich663

Answer by lich663 at 1:48 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• oh now that's a good idea about his kids walking him down the aisle. I like that
    lich663

Answer by lich663 at 1:49 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• that or you could also include them in other facets. although having them walk their dad down the isle sounds like the best idea. i like it a lot.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 2:12 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• You could have your husband's kids either walk him down the aisle OR find something for them to be involved in....a reading, lighting of a special Family unity candle, etc. You seem to be very concerned about including them, so you'll figure it all out.
    Good luck and congrats.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:31 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• You either need to ask his kids to walk him down or you need to ask her to walk with you as well.

Coming from a family where 4 of us were my step mother's "step kids" and 1 child was hers and my dads...if she JUST asked her daughter than I would be devestated.

BUT that being said...I'm really quite close to my step mother. My dad had custody of us from the time I was 17 and my siblings were 11, 13 and 15.

Either way I think it would be extremely rude not to ask her to be involved.
    Anonymous

• How do I avoid hurting her feelings?

By not having none of your children or step children walk down the aisle. You and your husband should walk together for the next  X- years. No one gets hurt.

Am I wrong to not include her? 

Yes.  Talk about discord between siblings and family.  Not starting off on the right foot.

Anonymous