Birth Certificate.....?

I'm getting ready to get my sons birth certificate.. Only problem is who's last name do i put? Were not married, But some people chose mother and fathers last name some choose mother some choose father. Im not sure why? Does any one know? and what last name should he have? Oh the father is in my sons life but im the one that takes care of him.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:42 PM on Feb. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Mothers!!!! You do not want your child to have a different last name. It is so much easier if you have the same name.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:46 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• I would put the mother's. Unless they paln on getting married than I would give the fathers so they don't have to change it or have a kid with a different last name.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 1:49 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• I never new what to put so i just put the fathers last name even when i filed my taxes.... Will any of that matter? I mean the birth certificate isnt ordered yet....I was just kinda forced to put his last name on everything "thats just what everyone said to do...." expecially his family.... Maybe I made a mistake I dont know?
    Anonymous

• OH YA HIS SOCIAL SECURITY CARD HAS THE FATHERS LAST NAME TO.... WOULD I JUST CHANGE ALL THAT OVER I DUNNO WHAT TO DO!?
    Anonymous

• well if you are upset with your decision you can probably change it. I would do it quick though so it doesn't make things even more complicated. Even if you don't it will be ok it's your decision everyone else will just have to live with it.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 2:08 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• It's hard to change names now. It used to be easy before 9/11. I was married when my son was born and the state made his father's name be on the birth certificate. His father filed for divorce the day after he was born. As soon as the divorce was final I got his ss card with my name and everything except his birth certificate was in my name. We never once used his father's name. That made his legal name my name at the time because it was on his ss card and the only name he used. A ss lawyer helped me make sure it was legal.

When he went to get his driver's license after 9/11 we found out everything changed. He could be in trouble for having 2 names and had to have his father's name on his license and go to court to change his name. He couldn't do that until he was emancipated at age 19.

So now if you want to change a name you have to go to court.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:16 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• I gave my daughter her father's last name, but we are planning on getting married soon so it will be easier to just change my last name. I wanted her to have her dad's last name.
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 2:20 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• How'd you get the SS card already without the BC? I couldn't take my baby home from the hospital without filling out the BC info.
    Anonymous

• ANONYMOUS-- Not sure how i got the SS card. I guess the hospital sent it out for me? Within about 3 weeks it was in the mail......
    Anonymous

• we had to do the birth certificate at the hospital before we left and as long as i agreed that SO was the father and he said he was the father, his name was given to her. i did not have a choice in the matter. my cousin didnt want her oldest to have her father's last name but was forced to because he was her father - i believe they went to court about it. unless father is not on the birth certificate i thought that their last name had to be their father's....

i cant believe you could leave the hospital without signing for the birth certificate. i know that we have to do that here.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 4:05 PM on Feb. 28, 2010