Is letting your teen use a tanning booth abuse?

Tanning causes skin cancer. There is no maybe about it. If you tan, at some point you will have a carcinoma. It may take 20 or 30 years until it's discovered, but it's going to happen. Should it be illegal for anyone under 18 to use one?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:59 PM on Feb. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think it should continue being the parents choice. People who don't smoke can get lung cancer, just like people who don't go to tanning beds can still get skin cancer.
    Mom_of_2_boyz87

Answer by Mom_of_2_boyz87 at 3:01 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Well, tanning doesn't ALWAYS cause skin cancer. By that token, should having a teenager who refuses to use sunscreen at the beach be the parent's fault and be called abuse? There are lots of things that cause cancer that we can't always control for our teens. I, personally, will not let my kids use a tanning booth, ever, as long as they need my concent to do it. We are a VERY fair skinned family and I will not be responsible for my kids having skin cancer in their 40s.

But no, I don't think it should be considered abuse.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 3:07 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Yes, there should be a legal age limit for unsupervised use, but if the tanning is directly supervised by a parent, then it is the parent's choice & responsibility (like with an MA-17 rated movie & parent takes child to see it).

Allowing a child to use a tanning booth before the child is really mature enough to understand the health consequences, well, that's just stupid, but not abuse. Abuse would be forcing the child to use the tanning booth against the child's will.
    Anonymous

• No... but I think a parent should regulate how often their teen goes. Personally, I think its ridiculous. I mean if you live in like... Nebraska or something, unless you TAN you probably will be more pale. It just looks weird to me... especially the girls who tan like every other day or whatever... TOO MUCH!
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 3:19 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Are you nuts?
    Let's pose ALL questions...
    Is giving your child 1/2 wine and 1/2 sprite at dinner abuse? Go arrest all the European continent then.
    Is letting your child play video games abuse? Ok..arrest all of the USA then.

Why are you so intent on regulating everyone elses life? Try taking care of your own and MYOB.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 3:27 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Why are you so intent on regulating everyone elses life?

So you think if parents want to give their teens heroin that's ok since it's not your kid?
    Anonymous

• I feel it's a choice for a responsible adult to weigh the pro's & con's of.

I think it should be STRICTLY 18+ no exceptions.... and maybe even a safety class/lecture at a hospital or derm. clinic before being allowed access to tanning booths
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:14 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• check your state statutes to see if it's abuse
    Anonymous

• lol We as parents don't have to be that controlling do we?
    Sure if your kids going 5 times a day 7 days a week it might be a problem but NO its not abuse. Your kid do what you want. Let parents parent the way they want.
    And like she said

So, I guess we can go to all the houses and who ever lets their kids play video games , let's arrest them for neglect. LMAO
    ILoveMuffins62

Answer by ILoveMuffins62 at 6:24 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• It's a cosmetic enhancement w/ proven long term health consequences. If you let your child do that once or twice, it's a gamble. Same as letting them not wear a seat belt once or twice. Or anything else once or twice.

Personally it turns my stomach if you permit your daughter to crisp her skin layers to try and appear trendy or cute at school. If a boy likes you 'cuz of your 1st degree burn, I don't want u with him is more like it. I also don't like the girls who are allowed by their parents to tan are then allowed to wear much more revealing clothes to show off the tan. You're asking for trouble and good lord yes it's abusive, neglectful, and cruel.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:43 PM on Feb. 28, 2010