6 month old with fever

i am a first time mom with a 6 month old baby with a 102.9 fever. I took him to the hospital yesterday but now i just keep giving him tylenol. the fever keeps coming back. He has had a cold for 4 or 5 days now. What should I do i am lost and dont know what else to do

brytani10

Asked by brytani10 at 2:59 PM on Feb. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• usually after bringing him to the emergency you suppose to bring him to his pediatrician the day after. it might be because his teething. give daily warm baths. you must try to cool him down. make him wear loose clothes.
    Anonymous

• is he drinking okay? is he peeing at least 6 times in 24 hours?
    tylenol doesn't "cure" a fever, it reduces the fever so you are more comfortable. What did the hospital say?

It usually takes a few days for a viral illness to go away. feel free to p.m. me I'm a pedi nurse.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 3:08 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• A fever is normal and the body's way of fighting an infection. If the fever is very high (and for a 6 month old, 102 is pretty high) you can give tylenol and motrin every 4 hours alternately (so at noon you give tylenol, then at 4 you give motrin, etc).

Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 3:15 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• My son is older (2 1/2) but about 2 mos ago, he had a fever for about a week, and was cranky. He wasn't really interested in food, but drank well. No other symptoms. Motrin/tylenol reduced the fever, and the doctor said it was viral. I brought him in after he'd had the fever for over 24 hrs, the doctor checked him out, and just said, bring him back in 3 days if he still has fever. 3 days later, he still had fever, and the doctor checked him again, a bit more thoroughly, and again stated that he saw nothing serious, and to give it 2 more days. His fever finally broke the day that I would have brought him back if he'd still had it. He said that viruses can take a while to go away.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:45 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Fever is a good thing and you don't want to give Tylenol. The body raises it's temperature so germs can't multiply. Maybe give Tylenol at night so the baby can sleep.

A baby's liver isn't good at processing drugs. Tylenol can be a dangerous drug.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:24 PM on Feb. 28, 2010