Disciplining a rambunctious toddler in their terrible 2's???

My daughter is 2...i love her with everything in me but she is driving me crazy!!! She doesn't listen, I know she hears me because I ask her what I said and what would happen if she were to do what I told her not to do and she will tell me almost word for word what I said but then she goes ahead and does it anyway. Recently she has started getting into my refrigerator and breaking eggs on the floor, pouring out mustard and ketchup on the carpet and just making a HUGE mess!!! Do those safety first deals for fridge's actually work?? Please help...I am a stay at home mom and my husband is in the Army...he's gone right now for 3 weeks and in June he'll be getting deployed. If anyone has any ideas about how to discipline my child I'm all ears. Thank you!

mariewoodrome

Asked by mariewoodrome at 2:59 PM on Feb. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Is there a way you can put up a gate or no?
    I don't know, I'm going to keep a lookout for answers to this though because my daughter is almost 1 and throws tantrums and Idk how to discipline her either because the only thing she understands is No but then throws a fit...
    I know, it is exhausting and frustrating.
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 3:01 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• did you try timeouts?
    Anonymous

• I love my safety first refrigerator latch lol. It definately works for us! (but not on the toilet, for some reason it doesn't stick to the porcelain very well.

What I started doing with my almost 2 year old is she gets ONE warning. "Rhapsody, get down." If she doesn't, she gets a 2 minute time out in her room by herself. I don't give many second chances, she gets praised a LOT for things she does well (like every time she listens the first time), and she gets punished every time she disobeys. Being consistant like that has changed her from a kid who NEVER listened to me, to one who almost always does what I ask the first time.

Try that and see if it works for you :) Good luck, mamma, you're doing great!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 3:03 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• locks are a good idea, you want her to mind you, but you also want to minimise the opportunities. Be sure that what she has done was with the intention of disobeying you, not just childish impulsiveness & curiosity.
    Time out (no more than 2 minutes) at this age I wouldn't expect her to then say what was done wrong -she is very little, & at 2 their speech skills are not always matched with comprehension, I used the Sad face - If they did something wrong, I made my face very sad, ( not angry) & said "I.m sad because..."
    You will get alot of advice about discipline in here, the one thing I would say is don't be too hard. Just because they are walking and only just talking, doesn't mean they understand what you say or request or that they can reason like an adult. One day when your daughter is a big teenager, you will look back and be shocked at how much you expected her know and understand as a 2 yr old.
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 3:18 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Myheart has a very good point. Learn the difference between diliberate disobeying and just not understanding your request (those are the times my daughter gets a second chance, that's when I go over and show her what I want her to do while repeating my request).

Also, I should add the positive reinforcement is much more effective at producing good behavior than is negative. So be sure to prais your daughter a lot every day for the things she does right, even if you have to look for something to praise at first.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 3:25 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Love & Limits by Elizabeth Crary is a great book. Her website is called Star Parenting. There is a good parenting chart on the website you can print out and put on your fridge.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:28 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• I have a baby gate for my kitchen. I have three kids and Ive got to have my limits. The only time my kids are allowed in the kitchen is to eat. (Except my 8 yr old can draw in there) They know to go to their chair and thats it! Its a good habit but I remind them as soon as they enter..."Get in your seat, please." I do supervise when they want to help me cook. Some days they are good and go sit without being told. GL.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 6:29 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• with my son, i have various techniques. i have baby gates in the kitchen doorway and my bedroom doorway (he likes to go mess with his dad's stuff). the temptation is stronger than his knowledge that those places are off-limits, so i just cut off his access. i also have a "3 count" system, where i give him to the count of 3 to do whatever i've asked him to do. if he ignores me, he gets the pre-determined punishment. if he listens, he gets lots of praise and kisses. now, he almost always listens by the time i get to "2". it took a while of doing it every time, but it works well for us now.
    nemiller

Answer by nemiller at 7:10 PM on Feb. 28, 2010