How will my Orange Carrot Cookie recipe change if I use butter instead of shortning? Will the cookies look and taste different? Should I stick with using the shortning the recipe calls for?

Orange Carrot Cookies

¾ cup shortening

1 cup sugar

1 egg

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 cup cooked mashed carrots

½ teaspoon salt

2 cups flour

1 cup chopped nuts

Icing

1 orange rind, grated

3 teaspoons orange juice

Powdered sugar

Pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a baking sheet.

For the cookies, cream shortening and sugar. Add egg and mix well. Add baking powder, vanilla, carrots, salt and flour. Mix well. Add nuts. Drop on greased sheet. Bake 15 minutes. Icing while hot makes a glaze, icing while cold makes more of a frosting.

For the icing, beat together ingredients and spread on hot or cooled cookie.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:02 PM on Feb. 28, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Shortening makes cookies slightly crisper than butter bc it has no protein. The difference is nominal.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 3:06 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• I thought it was the other way around, that butter makes cookies more crispy. The dough spreads out more while baking than the shorting does and becomes hard and crispy when cooled. The shorting holds up better than the butter at higher temperatures. Bur who knows, maybe shorting does make them crispier? Now I'm confused. lol
    Anonymous

• When I make Choc chip cookies I use butter flavored Crisco instead of butter and they come out thick and fluffier, they never melt out and get flat. You could try that?
    *I also use it instead of oil when I fry Pork chops and they come out soooo good!. =)
    Malibustacy

Answer by Malibustacy at 3:41 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• From the reading that I've done, using all butter can make cookies come out flat. Some people recommend doing 1/2 shortening and 1/2 butter. So you have the flavor of butter, but the cookies don't flatten out as much.
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 4:24 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Butter melts at lower temperatures so it can make your cookies spread more, leading to a crispier cookie. However, it also makes rich, delicious cookies! When I use butter, I make the cookie dough the night before and then refrigerate it. Go straight from the refrigerator to the oven. This helps to keep your cookies from spreading too much. Experiment. It can be done. Good bakers bake with butter. It's trickier, but worth it.
    You can also do half butter, half shortening. Or half butter, half margarine (bakes more like shortening).
    Anonymous

• Butter will definitely taste better than shortening! My favorite cooke recipe calls for shortening which I refuse to use, I use stick margarine instead and they come out amazing - haven't tried them with real butter yet though!
    Anonymous

• I totally agree with anon@19 about the spreading and about refrigerating them overnight then straight to the oven if you don't want them to spread out as much
    Anonymous

• Cookie recipes with shortening hold their shape better, they don't spread out on the pan as much. Recipes with butter taste way better, IMO. You can compensate for any spreading by chilling your dough well before baking. I always do that and have no problem.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 7:45 PM on Feb. 28, 2010