how do you get rid of head lice?

my son came home from school one day last week scratching his head. i checked his head and found lice. i bought some rid. everything looked good. i washed all the bedding and clothes. i vacuumed the furniture. i checked his head today and found more lice. i shampooed his head again with the rid. and i am washing his bedding again. this is getting very frustrated. does anyone have any tips for me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:44 PM on Feb. 28, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Benzyl Alcohol Lotion 5% (known as UlesfiaTM) works by suffocating lice, a method which has been attempted by treating with household items such as mayonnaise, olive oil and petroleum jelly. Studies have shown that overnight treatments with these home remedies may initially appear to kill lice, but later a "resurrection effect" occurs after rinsing, because lice can resist asphyxiation. This is accomplished by the louse's ability to presumably close its spiracles, the external entry points to the breathing apparatus, when submerged. Unlike commonly used asphyxiant remedies, scanning electron microscopy appears to indicate that benzyl alcohol lotion effectively asphyxiates lice by "stunning" the spiracles open, allowing the lotion, comprised of mineral oil and other inactive ingredients, to infiltrate the "honeycomb" respiratory apparatus and kill lice.

Anonymous

• wow, that sounds good. i was always told mayo though and leave it on overnight or put on in the morning and rinse before bed. you may want to check for nits though too bc they can still hatch. you have to check the hair follicle near the root for little white "balls" that are attatched and removed with a nit comb. don't forget that animals can carry lice too.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 4:56 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• I have two kids 1 boy 1 girl ... they have had them a couple of times, I usually just cut my sons hair real short that helps.
    I've used rid, and other store bought products for it . mayo works , baby oil they are both messy but put it all over in their hair cover in a shower cap.. let it sit for a hour or so shampoo a few times rince out and comb out..and you have to remove all the nits they will sit hatch..you'll have to repeat this process in 7 - 10 days.. removing all sheets and blankets. though all the stuffed animals in a bag. remove for a couple weeks until after the process is over. we went and bought a steam cleaner for the couch, beds and the rugs.
    Anonymous

• My daughter had long curly, very thick hair. When she got lice, twice, it was a nightmare. I bought Rid a couple times and they kept coming back. I washed the bed clothes and pillows and they still came back.

Finally, I got an idea. What eats glue? The safest thing I could think of was that goo from oranges they use to wash hands for mechanics. It comes in a can and can be purchased at the auto parts store. So I bought it and mixed it with conditioner so I wouldn't dry her hair out and damage it. The conditioner allowed me to comb through it with the old comb I got from the Rid boxes. The orange oil is wonderful on the glue that the nits are stuck to the hair shaft with. Well, those nits just about fell off.

All I can say is use caution. Maybe do it sections and use good conditioner. Don't leave it on for too long and if the child starts getting a reaction just be ready to scratch the idea and go back to other methods.
    madagascarnow

Answer by madagascarnow at 8:11 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• I use olive oil. It works fine and I've never had reinfestation
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• After you use the lice-killing shampoo, use a lice comb to comb your child's hair. I did this every day for a week after the shampoo. All it takes is for a couple lice or a couple of nits to survive the original shampoo for the whole process starts again. So even if you try the suffication method - I'd still spend 20 minutes to a half hour every ight combing through your child's hair. I spread an old bed sheet on the floor and couch and do it while the child watches TV or a video. I also bought a metal lice comb (instead of the cheap plastic ones that came with the shampoo). Boil some water to rinse the comb out in between brushings. That hot water kills the lice that come out in the comb and I change the water frequently (based on how much stuff I find in it). Time consuming - but it worked for me
    Anonymous

• We used a mixture of olive oil and tea tree oil . . . we covered their scalp and hair, wrapped a towell around it for twenty minutes, washed and blow dried. It worked wonders when two of mine had it. We also bagged up all their stuffed animals & pillows and let it sit for over a week I believe. I've heard it was best to simply bag up their bedding as well, washing may not do the job on its own.
    qwietpleez

Answer by qwietpleez at 9:51 PM on Mar. 4, 2010