Catholicism vs Christianity

I was raised a Catholic but havent attended masses in atlesast 10 years. I pray daily. I believe in Jesus, God, and the Holy Spirit. Im not sure what to do. I have been thinking of going to Christian churches as I do believe in gay marriage and the right to choose (abortion). However, catholicism seems to be the only to do communion.

I dont know what to do. What are the differences? Which is right? How do I know what to do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:44 PM on Feb. 28, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I would say, start going around to different churches, expiriencing them and seeing if you can feel the holy ghost there. Pray about each and every expirience you have and Heavenly Father will let you know which one is right.
    Pray about gay marriage and abortion as well. I believe Heavenly Father is a loving being and He will let you know the answers to your questions and concerns.
    Anonymous

• all "plain old christian" churches to communion... methodist, presbiterian, etc dont or only like once a month. however... regular christian churches dont believe in homosexuality being ok, and are pro-life. so pretty much you are gonna have to pick and choose what is impotant to you.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 4:00 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Catholicism is a broad term for the body of the Catholic faith, its theologies and doctrines, its liturgical, ethical, spiritual, and behavioral characteristics, as well as a religious people as a whole. Christianity (from the Greek word Xριστός, Khristos, "Christ", literally "anointed one") is a monotheistic religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus of Nazareth as presented in the New Testament.

Christians believe Jesus is the son of God, God having become man and the savior of humanity. Christians, therefore, commonly refer to Jesus as Christ or Messiah.
    Anonymous

• Start going to different churches. Most Protestant (Methodist, Baptist, etc) churches do Communion either once a month or on the fifth Sunday, depends on how their constitution is written. You are pretty much going to have to shop around until you find a church that is a good fit. I will tell you that each denomination has different stances on abortion and homosexuality, and there are differences even within the denomination. I would suggest A. going to different churches, B. call and ask what their "articles of faith" say about the issues you feel are deal breakers, or C. look them up on the internet- google each denomination to find their official site and research them before attending services.
    There is no difference between Catholicism and "Christianity"- the Catholic church is a part of the Christian body by most definitions. There is, however, a Christian Church, which is a Protestant denomination. Is that it?
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 4:16 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• your views are not Biblical that is find a watered down church there you should be ok. good luck there should be a group for those that make up their laws somewhere out there try Hollywood? Looks like you still want to be worldly and be loved by all more than living holy by the rules He gave us.
    Anonymous

• Thanks every one :) I have done some searching and am leaning to trying a methodist and maybe a united church of christ churches and see how those go.

Anonymous

• The only way to find your answer is to pray. The Lord will guide you to where you should be. As for gay marriage and abortions, the Bible does not condone either one. The Bible calls homosexuality an abomination. For the churches that are starting to allow these beliefs, I believe they are treading down their own paths and separating from the biblical view of those subjects. I am a Christian and belong to a United Church of Christ and we do not in any way shape or form believe that these things are okay. We are not discriminating to people who do these things and accept them to our church, but we are here to support them and lead them to make the right biblical decisions. Maybe the Lord is nudging you in this way to help you find answers you didn't know you wanted/needed? God works in mysterious and unexpected ways! If you have the Lord in your heart, it doesn't matter what religion you choose. God loves you!
    Anonymous

• most christian churches do communion some only do it once a month but others weekly most baptist, nondenominational christians and church of christ all usually do communion weekly . methodist episcopalian lutherian all have communion usually monthly
    mom2snsb

Answer by mom2snsb at 6:05 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Try the Episcopal church. They have mass like catholics, but they are more liberal in their doctrine
    Anonymous

• Catholicism is a Christian denomination. There are many denominations of christianity including Catholicism.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:21 PM on Feb. 28, 2010