How long was your baby in the NICU?

My little guy has been in the NICU for 13 days now. I am going crazy waiting for him to be ready to come home. He was born at 35 weeks and he some trouble breathing. All that is keeping him in there now is his weight, he needs to gain some weight before coming home.

danielle8717

Asked by danielle8717 at 4:31 PM on Feb. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I didn't personally have a baby in the NICU, but I have a lot of friends whose children have had to be in there and it could be a month or so...It just depends on how fast your little one recovers.
    Anonymous

• my dd, (my oldest) was in nicu for almost three weeks. based on my due date i was 36 weeks. but it turns out i was only 32 weeks. she was on a vent. for only three days. (i didnt even get to see her until she was almost 3 days old). by the second week, she was moved up to the natal nursery (babies who can breathe on their own and need help to learn how to eat on their own). my dd was 5 lbs, but dropped to 4 lbs and 11 oz.

good luck, i kno how stressful it can be. just think about what you will do when he is home. dont worry, if weight is the only main issue, it shouldnt take too long. how big was he when he was born? and againg, good luck
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 4:38 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• my little man was born at 34 weeks. he was in the nicu for a week. this is so hard. how much does he weigh now. what else are his doctors saying? it shouldnt be much longer now, mama.
    KJ_on

Answer by KJ_on at 4:39 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• He was 5 lbs 7 oz and today he is 5lbs 5 oz.
    danielle8717

Answer by danielle8717 at 4:40 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• The doctors are just saying that he needs to show us that he can gain weight.The good thing is he has no tubes in his body anymore and is eating well from a bottle on his own.
    danielle8717

Answer by danielle8717 at 4:42 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• wow, he should be coming home any time now. realy once they see he can, breath, no apnea, maintaine his own body temp, and gain weight on his own they will send him home
    KJ_on

Answer by KJ_on at 4:42 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• it sounds like he will be home in the next week unless something happens. but this is just my opinion. have they asked you about taking any classes at the hospital? we were required to take swaddling class, infant cpr class, and a class on things to watch for with premies. if they are talking about u taking classes like that it will be soon, because we took em the day before she came home
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 4:49 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• my son was born at 37 weeks with pneomonia. They sais since his lungs were preemie it was hard for him to fight it off. He stayed in NICU for 11 days. My hubby and I would drive 45 minutes there and 45 minutes back everyday just to spend the whole day with him until they made us leave. It was one of the hardest times in our lives dealing with that. A brand new baby and not getting to hold him or take him home right away and seeing all those wires, tube and needles getting poked being sooo small , we feel you.
    I hope that he will come home soon for you!
    Anonymous

• My dd was also born at 35 wks and we didn't realize she was having d-sating episodes until the hospital did a car seat challenge in order to realize whether or not she could handle the trip home. She was in the nicu for 4 days and she d-sated as low as 60. I hope everything will turn out right for your little man.
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 4:53 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• my son was born at 33 weeks and stayed 6 weeks in the NICU. He was born with severe jaundice and anemia and he weighed only 3 lbs 3oz's. He stayed on billi lights for weeks and recieved two blood transfusions. I know how hard it can be having a little one in there for a long time, but it sounds like yours is doing pretty good so hopefully he will be home soon. Good Luck!
    Anonymous