My partner and I are considering BOTH being artificially inseminated...Have any of you been through this before?

My partner and I have decided we want to have a child. We definately want one of us to carry the baby but we were thinking about both getting AI to not only increase our chances of a baby being concieved but also because we both want to experience pregnancy.

Both of our mothers are planning to come spend the last month of the pregnancy/ies with us and then stay for another 3-6 weeks. They are both widowed and retired so they can spend as much time here as we need them.

I'm just a little concerned about having 2 pregnant women at the same time instead if one pregnant and one being the support person. Plus are we going to LIVE in the doctor's office with both of us needing to go??

Also what would we do if both of us went into labor very near each other? We each want to be there for the birth of our children.

IDK...these are my concerns and I was wondering if anyone has advise or experience with this??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:17 PM on Feb. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• 1) sounds like a tv show
    and 2) have you maybe thought about either of you carrying the first baby, then a few years down the road, the other can carry the second?
    snoober_k

Answer by snoober_k at 5:20 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• I think doing at the same time would be good as long as both of you are healthy and one person isn't going to be stuck taking care of the babies for long hours alone. The children will get to grow up together.

You could plan homebirths. Often homebirth midwives come to your home for prenatal visits. You wouldn't have to go anywhere.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:22 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Personally, I wouldn't want to deal with two newborns at one time. I don't know how moms of multiples do it. Why not have one of you be AI'ed then the other after the first gives birth? That why, if there are health complications, you won't have to worry as much because you'll have someone else in perfect health there with you to help you and take care of you and the baby. I mean, what happens if both of you end up on bed rest?
    Anonymous

• I'm glad we amuse you "snoober"...

Thank you for your answer Gailll. We are considering a midwife and homebirths as long as the pregnacy/ies are low risk. We've also talked to a midwife that delivers in a birthing center but come to your house for the last 4 weeks of the pregnancy. We just haven't made up our mind what type of provider we will want to use.
    Anonymous

• Good point anon. That's something to think about. thanks!
    Anonymous

• Not all pregnant women are super hormonal and crazy lol. it honestly might not be bad with both of you being pregnant at the same time!! I actually would LOVE to be pregnant at the same time as someone else, and for you to be able to experience it with your partner seems like a beautiful thing to me! Multiple newborns could be very hard, but it is obviously done all the time! =) Plus with all of the support you get from both of your moms, I think that would make it soo much easier!! Shoot, I would kill for my mom to come stay with me for that long when I was near the birth lol. If it were me I would go for it!! Good luck to both of you!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 5:48 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• First of all, congrats on your plans to start a family :) This is a very exciting time.

You woudln't necessarily have to both be inseminated at exactly the same time. If you both want to be pregnant together and you both want your children to be very close in age, why not wait 4-6 weeks and stagger the inseminations out a little bit? It's the best of both worlds... you each get to be there to be the support person for the other when she is in labor, AND you both get to experience the joys of pregnancy and motherhood very close together. Your cycles may or may not be synchronized anyway, which if you wanted to be inseminated at the same time would mean one or both of you being on hormone injections for up to 3 months. Not fun.

As for dr/midwife appointments, you could make them for the same day and time so that you don't have to go all the time :) CONT
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 6:20 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• CONT from above

If you want more information about planning a homebirth I'd be happy to help :)

I wish you both happy and healthy pregnancies!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 6:21 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• please tell me both of you are females. it might be a waste to get a him inseminated!
    Anonymous

• I personally think that would be hard. Not the spending all your time at the doctors or having two newborns but the idea of one of you possible having to go through he birth with out the other or one of you missing the birth of one of the children. I think that would be sad. The rest could be a lot of fun though! No different than having twins right? I would really be surprised if it came down to both of you having a successful AI at the same time. I think you would end up being a good 6 months to a year apart. Which would be fun to! Ati_13 had great advice to about staggering the AI's just to be sure that things fall into place. Good luck!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:46 PM on Feb. 28, 2010