Favorite First Birthday Cake Recipes

My son turns one in a couple weeks and I need some first birthday cake ideas. I know what will be on it for decorations, lol...just not what the cake will be. I know you're not supposed to do chocolate, but some others say at 1 its OK. I know carrot cake is popular, but some are just gross. Any cool ideas from all you brilliant mamas out there? I would love to be able to throw something in it so it is more healthy and less sugar coma inducing, lol. Thanks!

elijahsmama09

Asked by elijahsmama09 at 5:28 PM on Feb. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Spice cake is an option. I always did chocolate for my kids. Now I use splenda instead of sugar when I use the recipe on the box of hershey's cocoa.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:30 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• goodHalf Chocolate half vanilla with Buttecream icing from Publix

UAFwife

Answer by UAFwife at 5:48 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• How about an ice cream cake. That's what my family likes.

I took a cake decorating class and the teacher encouraged the use of cake mixes. She said you are always sure of your results. You can fix cake mixes up by adding stuff.

I love lemon cake.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:11 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• I always made the birthday child a white smash cake, and made both chocolate and white for everyone else. I'm not a single-flavor for a party type of person, I like to give choices.
    Anonymous