What do you serve the mommies for lunch at your playdate?

I have a playdate scheduled at my house next week. So far, 6 mommies with 10 preschoolers have RSVPd in addition to myself and my 2 young children. What should I serve everyone for lunch? The playdate is from 11am till1pm, and NOT serving lunch is NOT an option! :) I need something that I can prepare ahead of time and just heat up, or something that I can do in the crockpot, or something that I can serve cold, but I'm not having any ideas, for some reason! Should I prepare something for adults and something totally different for the mommies or is there something that would appeal to everyone? I am planning to have a fruit tray and veggie tray for snacking, and probably wheat thins with cream cheese and pepper jelly, but what could I serve (besides finger sandwiches or a cold cut tray) that could serve as more of an entree? Thanks so much for any suggestions! I'm not much of a hostess, I guess!

winkie_pinkie

Asked by winkie_pinkie at 6:37 PM on Feb. 28, 2010 in Food & Drink

• tacos
    Anonymous

• I'd do a potluck and ask the other mommies to bring something, too.
    Anonymous

• You can make enchiladas they are easy to prep in advance and then just throw in oven and serve, or crock pot some stew or soup to go with sandwiches, I would do a sam's club or costco sandwich ring they are cheap very tasty and serve a lot of people. good luck.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:55 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• try a baked potato bar. always a hit :)
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:55 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Whenever we have playdates at other's houses around lunch time, if we have 4 or more people RSVP for it we make it a potluck. it's just easier on the host.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 7:11 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• A nice Cesar salad with chicken on top  withbread sticks would be easy, healthy, and you could prepare before hand..

kjfamily

Answer by kjfamily at 7:22 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• with that many, I'd definitely go with the pot luck!
    Anonymous

• The day before, cook a pork roast or pork loin in your crock pot - cook it til it falls apart! Let it cool, get the clumps of fat out/off, and shred. The next morning, put the meat back in the crock pot, douse in bbq sauce, and heat. Serve on buns alongside all your other food. Some chips maybe, and you've got yourself a good quick easy meal that'll be enjoyed by everyone. You can always put together some ham or ham & cheese buns, wrap in foil, and stick in the oven to heat up for about 10 minutes or so, in case anyone doesn't like bbq or pork. Beef would work to instead of pork. Just don't forget the liquid with the meat or it'll be dry & tough.
    Anonymous

• A cold pasta salad with chicken or a chicken caesar salad would work for the adults, and then some chicken nuggets for the kids? The last playdate luncheon I went to there was fruit salad and veggies w/dip, chicken nuggets, pb&js, juice boxes, water bottles, and a huge pan of baked ziti (she made it the night before and then just stuck it in the oven while we were playing, then took it out right before lunch)

Answer by missanc at 9:42 PM on Feb. 28, 2010