What should we do to become more educated and prepared for an unassisted home birth?

My Dh and I are considering having a home birth for our 3rd child. We are seeing a midwife for this pregnancy and she's great but we like the idea of it just being us. We watched a friend's UHB video and it was the MOST peaceful thing I've ever seen. We have done research on the safety of it and we're happy with the stastics. We just don't know how to put our plan into action I guess.

Are there any books? Classes? Videos?

What supplies do we need?

Do we have to register with the state (Texas) to let them know we are planning a home birth?

Advise would be great!! Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:53 PM on Feb. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• There are some great groups here on CafeMom where you will most certainly find a lot of information, and mothers who have had UC's. Good Luck!!!
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 6:55 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• I am glad the video shows a successful birth but what happens if there is a problem? I suggest having the midwife there even if just for tea. I wouldn't do it alone without her at least being on call. Too many things can go wrong quickly.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:55 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• *Snickers* Unassisted home birth? What you really need is a straight jacket.
    elena_rae

Answer by elena_rae at 6:57 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• I am a apart of a vbac group here on CM and there were a few moms there that did UHBAC so if you stop by somebody would be able to help you. I would also talk to your midwife about it, she can give you the information that you need as well. I would do hours and hours of research online, hit the library look for groups online and locally that way you can be prepared. I do know there are several great books out there for this you just have to look them up and find them.. Good luck, I also think having your midwife on board will be helpful if while you are doing it you decide you need her.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:58 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

What is that supposed to mean?
    Anonymous

• I am so happy to hear that you have a midwife at least! The ones that get no prenatal care scare me!

you know, the midwife can just sit outside the room, and you can call her in IF you need her! That's my suggestion! Get her a movie or something to do.
    Anonymous

• I would talk to your midwife. Unassisted is a bit out of my comfort zone, but statistically birth is pretty safe. You absolutely need prenatal care, so keep up a good dialogue with her. You're going to need to be able to feel the baby's position, your husband will need to know how to handle the umbilical cord being wrapped around the baby's neck (not an emergency, it's present in 25% of all births), and when to call someone. Stethoscope use to check the baby. Just.. talk to you midwife.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 7:17 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Ok people, she didn't ask you to talk her into doing it differently, there is nothing wrong with a UHB, most people that do this study, and work with their provider so that they know trouble signs etc. Some supplies you might need are a birthing tub if you want that, bed covers, couch covers, clean towels 10 to 12, a baby kit with sterile clamp and scissors for ambilical cord, nasal bulb, heat lamp if baby is jaundiced, sanitary pads, biohazard bags for placenta and other material to go into. a wash bottle or pernial hose to keep you clean after. your husband needs to study utueral massage to help with bleeding, you need blankets for you and baby. There is a lot more, but this is a few things. Really talk to your midwife she can give you a supply list, a list of helpful books, and she may even teach you some things as well.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:19 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Usually the UCers that I know of are well-read, informed, prepared.
    What would you need to do to be that?
    Self-education through books, groups, a mentor even, websites, etc., will help!
    I usually refer to truebirth Australia and bornfree (laura shanly)'s info.
    There are plenty of women on CM that can help you in groups dedicated to natural birthing, too.
    Good luck!
    :-D
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 7:32 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• So in short turealaskanmom, what she needs is a hospital room in her home.

I think homebirth is one thing, but really what is the point of NO ONE being there? What happens in an emergency? Can't the midwife be like... down stairs watching movies on TV while you do this? So she's at least handy in the event that (God forbid) something didn't go as planned?

Also, doing this with a VBAC sounds absolutely INSANE to me. Totally unnecessary risk taking with your life and that of your child. For what? Hubris I dare say.
    Anonymous