Some how my daughter has a dislocated hip

At her 6 month check up her doctor noticed one of her legs was longer than the other & sent her for xrays where they discovered that her hip was dislocated. Her doctor said this was common in some c section babies but is usually caught at birth. I need to make her an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon in Nashville... What will he do about her hip & will it be painful for my poor baby?:(

risafaithsmom

Asked by risafaithsmom at 7:02 PM on Feb. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• why a surgeon and not a chiropractor or something along those lines? A dislocation shouldn't need surgery.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:07 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• The hip bone is a "ball and socket" joint--meaning the head of the thigh bone (femur) sits within the curvature of the hip bone or "socket"--if you make a fist with one hand and wrap your other hand around it, that will give you a visual of the joint.

It stays in place via muscles, tendons and ligaments. The orthopedist will simply pull on the femur and reposition it into the hip bone socket. In a young infant, this should only take a few SECONDS, and because babies are so flexible and their bones are small, she may feel a little discomfort, but won't be in any pain (like you or I would imagine).

The reason why you need a specialist is that the femoral artery (major blood supply line) CAN be pinched if the repositioning is done incorrectly, so they will want to watch her for lack of blood flow to lower leg, check the pulse in her foot to make sure their is adequate blood flow.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:11 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• she may have congenital hip dysplasia, it is not that uncommon, especially in girls
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 7:32 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Hip dysplasia is really not that bad. I'm a Hip dyplasia as is my daughter. BTW It's caused by breech births. It's a shallow hip socket. The treatmant at this age usually involves the isolation of the hip. A cast that has her legs in the frog postion for a while then a brace. In no time she will be up running. PM me if you need to ask questions.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 7:39 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• I was born with hip dslocation too, as peanutsmommy1 said it is more common in girls. I found out it is also more common for it to be the left hip that is affected (and that was the case with me). I've had various operations on my legs as a result, uncluding keyhole surgery on my right knee to try slowing the growth down in the right leg to try and give the left leg chance to catch up. Unfortunately I am now 32 and have arthritis (probably as a result of the dislocation at birth).
    Louise78

Answer by Louise78 at 6:44 AM on Oct. 2, 2010