Is it ok to go on vacation without my toddler?

My hubby and I are going to Florida for a week in April. I want to bring my toddler, but I don't feel that the vacation will be relaxing. Also, we're driving (23 hours) and my toddler hates sitting in his car seat.
I feel guilty about leaving him at home (with grandparents) and miss him already when I think about leaving him. He is 30 months old.

secondbaby75

Asked by secondbaby75 at 7:13 PM on Feb. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• if you have someone to watch him, ENJOY YOUR VACATION!

there is absolutely nothing wrong with a nice trip alone with your hubby!
    Anonymous

• Agree with PP, hubby and I are going on a cruise the 28th of march and can not wait. Yep, the kids will be at grandparents.. If you trust them, go ENJOY !!!!

Sometimes we need a break.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:17 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• I would want to take my child. I used to drive from Indiana to Florida every year alone with my kids to visit my parents. I had 1-3 kids as the years went on and would usually drive it in 2-3 days. The last time we went they were 2, 7, & 10.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:17 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• While there is nothing wrong with taking some adult time away, you have to determine if you are going to be able to enjoy the time knowing that your child will not be with you. A 23-hour drive is far too long a drive for that young a child. It would be a nightmare. Try to let go of the mom inside and enjoy the woman inside, knowing that your child is in safe hands. He will be only a phone call away.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 7:19 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• If you haven't been away from him in 30months, you are in need of a vacation. It is also good for your child to form a comfortable independence from you. Leaving him for brief spurts will teach him to be comfortable being away from you and prepare him for school or day care.
    bugandsmiles

Answer by bugandsmiles at 7:20 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Totally your decision. You're leaving your child in good hands. Your child may enjoy his own vacation!
    Anonymous

• he'll be fine...don't beat yourself up over that
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 7:26 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• I wouldn't leave a 30mo old for a vaction and prob would go on that long of a drive w/ that age either. personally would wait till he's a little older before trying a vacation that far away from him(like 5yrs old).
    Anonymous

• There is no harm in going on vacation and leaving your 2 and 1/2 year old child with his grandparents if you trust them.
    Anonymous

• If you feel comfortable leaving your child, and trust who is babysitting, I say go for it!!!!
    Mdaisey

Answer by Mdaisey at 8:15 PM on Feb. 28, 2010