infant travel

i am traveling alone with my dd who will be 7months old we are taking a plane from ny to ca i desperately need advice on this any help would be great

sashasmom159

Asked by sashasmom159 at 7:38 PM on Feb. 28, 2010 in Travel

• I made a trip from IL to CA by myself with my 7 m old daughter and if you have a good baby, chances are, she'll be wonderful on the plane.
    My mother in law told me to bring tons of toys and stuff and to be honest I didn't use ANY of it! lol
    The following is what I would bring
    Blanket
    Comfort toy/object (whatever you child is attatched to....my daughter loves her blanket)
    Binky
    Diapers
    Wipes
    Tylenol (ear pain from elevation if any...my daughter wasn't even affected!)

Bottles
    Formula (if that's what you use)
    4-6 containers of SEALED baby food(if you want)
    spoons
    Burp cloths/ bibs
    2 zip lock bags (not including the ones you use to hold your baby food, tylenol etc)
    a few toys like a book or rattle or both...

That's it! Seriously I didn't need even that much, but it's always good to have backup stuff just in case. Feel free to take anything you think you may need, because you know
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 7:46 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• I always thought traveling with my son as an infant wasn't too rough. I held him on my lap, nursed him during take off and landing so the pressure wouldn't bother his ears. He pretty much slept the whole time on the plane. The only thing that sucks are diaper changes! I checked my luggage at the curb and my only carry on was a backpack that I used as a diaper bag. I carried him in a front carrier all the way to the gate, but I did have to remove it when I got to security. Don't put shoes on the baby- they make you remove them. You should wear slip on/off shoes because i's so much easier when shuffling a kid around. What, specifically are your concerns?
    winkie_pinkie

Answer by winkie_pinkie at 7:47 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• First the less you take the better. I would check the carseat and use an umbrella stroller to transport her through the airport. I would also bring a sling because there will be times you have to be hands free. Wear easy on sandals because you have to take your shoes off at the security check and it is hard to juggle taking off shoes and carrying a baby. Only bring the bare necessaries also. Bring one blanket, one lovey, two bottles/sippy cups. One small can of formula or it is even better if you are breastfeeding! Two changes of clothes for the baby and an extra shirt for you. A few throw away changing pads and a burp cloth and some infant Tylenol. I would bring it in a backpack type. Make sure your travel documents are in the front pocket for easy access.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:56 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• That is it, don't stress. Your baby will likely be easy on the plane. I found it is easier if you have early morning or late night flights, because that is your baby's normal sleep time.
    Good luck you'll be fine!
    SleepingBeautee

• these are all great .what about storing her stroller car seat pac and play do they charge extra my car seat attaches to my stroller so thats not hard the pac and play is not that hard just a little heavy
    sashasmom159

Answer by sashasmom159 at 8:06 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Remember everything you take through to gate you have to load onto the conveyor belt at security. So I would check the carseat and pack and play. Or even see if your family can borrow or rent a pack and play at your destination. That is so much easier than lugging it in and out of the airport with a baby and all of your luggage. Also the airline does not charge for the carseat and/stroller, but will charge for the pack and play. It would cost whatever it does for an extra piece of luggage. So that is $15-30 each way.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:35 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• In Jan. my husband and I flew with our daughter from SC to CA. Then just this past week I flew with her alone from SC to PA. I breastfeed, so I can't help with the rules concerning formula and all that. If my daughter was asleep during take off or descent/landing, then I just let her be. But if she was awake and seemed to be bothered, then I would nurse her and she never seemed in pain from the elevation changes. Both times we traveled we borrowed a car seat from friends we trust on the other side, so we didn't have to lug extra stuff around. The first time we borrowed a stroller, too, but this last time I didn't, nor did I take ours. Frankly I don't trust the airline people not to bang up and ruin our car seat and/or stroller. Both times I used a wrap for my daughter. When I was by myself I was able to use the bathroom with her in the wrap. Once we got to our gate, I would put lay something down and let her CONT
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:36 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• roll around and play on the floor on that so she could stretch out since she was stuck on my lap during the flights. I also pack food for myself to make it easier and because you now have to pay for meals on the planes and they aren't very good anyway. I also take a reusable water bottle for myself and just make sure it's empty when I go through security and then I fill it up at a water fountain once I'm through security.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:44 AM on Mar. 2, 2010