is cervical cancer haredatary???

My Aunt (mom's siter) had cervical cancer about a year ago maybe 2 then the past summer my mom found out she had it, but my mom didn't have a pap in 17 years so when they cought it she was in the 2nr or 3rd stage of it they scrapped it or whatever it is they do, but still had it so they did a hystrecamy on her and now she has to be checked every 3 months to 6 months then I find out today that my other Aunt (mom's sister) has it they told her that nothing is going to help so my guess is she is in the last stages, but it scares me cause my mom and both aunts had it so is it hareditary? Also my DH sister had it so with 2 girls it really scares me. They are only 4.5 and 2 now though

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 7:54 PM on Feb. 28, 2010 in Health

• Almost all cervical cancer is caused by the HPV, a virus. It is sexually transmitted. It's not considered hereditary but therer may be a family tendency towards it.

Cervical cancer is very slow growing and very easy to treat when caught early. I had it and had cyrosurgery in my doctor's office. She froze the abnormal looking areas. It took about half an hour. That was 21 years ago and no more problems.

Of course you want to get pap smears every year. If you don't have insurance you can go to planned parenthood.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:13 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• It doesn't necessarily mean you will get it but it does mean your risk of getting it increases.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:03 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• so is gailll saying your family females are hoes?
    Anonymous

• I had it .. was caught early due to yearly checkups ... my friend wasn't so lucky. She did NOT get the yearly checkups and when she found out she had it, it was too late. She didn't even have any sign anything was wrong till late July, she died mid October. She went to Dr. with abdominal cramps that wouldn't go away, and was usually one to not go to the Dr.

And NO to "Anonymous" .. that's not was anyone is saying. Sexually transmitted diseases can be contracted from ONE person and that could be the ONLY person you had sex with ... you don't have to sleep with multiple partners to get STDs.

Mommy5409 posted a REAL CONCERN here and you are trying to make light of it. NOT funny!
    MaryJacobs

Answer by MaryJacobs at 7:40 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• MaryJacobs

Thank you! There are other ways to catch the HPV online says there is over 100 diffrent types of HPV My one aunt I know doesn't sleep around (the one that had it before my mom) not sure about my other aunt and I know for a fact my mom doesn't sleep around so anon can go to hell it isn't like that
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:52 AM on Mar. 1, 2010