Nursing with a sling?

I have a two week old and a 19 month old. When I am home alone its hard to nurse my youngest. I have a sling by infantino but can't figure out how to nurse him in it. Can anyone help?

MoM.i.aM

Asked by MoM.i.aM at 7:57 PM on Feb. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• First position him properly (so his neck is not slumped over), and then use a foam wedge or a couple of rolled up receiving blankets. One beneath your breast to support it (which is necessary if you're above a B), and one behind/in front of his neck, depending on how he tends to lean. Pull up your shirt and get him latched well, and reposition the him as necessary.

You will NOT have to do this when he is older and has some amount of neck control.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:04 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• My suggestion is to get another sling. Babywearing is amazing and a real sanity-saver, enabling you to take care of your baby's needs while still tending to yourself and other children -- I can't say enough good things about it. However, I also can't say enough bad things about the Infantino "bag-style" slings: they are dangerous. There have been several infant deaths related to them, and even very experienced babywearers have found that it is very difficult to use them safely (as far as the baby's airway goes.) The younger the baby the more true this is. If you can possibly return the Infantino, and get another type of carrier, that would be ideal. There are many other kinds of carriers, all of which can be safe, secure, and comfortable. For ease of use, you may want to look into getting a pouch style or unpadded ring sling... www.sleepingbaby.net sells fabulous, inexpensive ring slings.

Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 8:11 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Sounds confusing lol
    MoM.i.aM

Answer by MoM.i.aM at 8:11 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• not the right kinda of sling.

your kids are close in age... but you should try to establish some independant time for your older one. he needs to know when you are feeding the baby, he can not bother you. set up an activity (I don't mean TV, ), let him be, and then nurse.
    But that sling you have probably won't work. You need a moby or something
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 8:32 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• I agree that the Infantino sling probably isn't going to work well for nursing, and also, isn't going to last very long. A wrap or ring sling is probably your best bet.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:45 PM on Feb. 28, 2010