Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you do?

My 21 month old son is sick. He has been sick for about 11 days now. It started with a 102 fever and he couldn't breathe from a stuffy nose. Then he had a tiny cough but then it all went away after a few days and all he had was a teeny bit of a cough (like once a day he would cough) and his nose was still stuffed. Well today his fever bounced up to 102 but after motrin it's gone down and it's been 6 hours since he had that and his fever has broken and is gone but he is coughing SO BAD and is super cranky and is having a bit of a tough time breathing but is acting pretty ok, just tired and his pulse ox is low. So, would you wait to take him to the doctor tomorrow morning or take him to urgent care now?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 7:58 PM on Feb. 28, 2010 in Kids' Health

Answers (6)
  • if i was really worried, i would call my on-call doctor. however there was one time i called and they said to wait till morning to go to the doctor.. i finally went ahead and took her to the ER. she ended up with pneumonia. i was glad i took her. it was a HORRIBLE night. i was in tears because i could hear here breathing being so labored and she hardly slept so i hardly slept. i walked into the ER and just broke down. it was definately an over reaction (the crying) on my part, but still. i am glad we went.

    trust your gut. it doesnt sound that bad though if he is acting relatively normal.

    Answer by aly38914290 at 8:10 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

  • I would take him to the ER. But then again my little girl used to have febriol seizures...... So I dont hesitiate.

    Answer by MiniMissMaraMom at 8:16 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

  • I would get a vaporizer and put it on for the night. It is the best thing for stuffy noses for kids. They don't have sinuses until they are school age so it is important to get ahead of it as soon as possible. The vaporizer can sometimes help so there is no doctor needed. I would also feel around in his mouth to see if there is a tooth coming in. I used to get a kick out of it. When I would find the tooth that's coming in the baby will usually bite down. If it's from teething I would go to the health food store and get a homeopathic formula for teething. I've had very good results with homeopathy.

    Answer by madagascarnow at 8:21 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

  • I know his pulse ox is low b/c we have a monitor b/c he has ashma and tracheobronchomalacia.

    But yeah, him acting normal has kept me from being as concerned. Mainly its the breathing and cough that has me worried. But I just wanted some opinions and advice! Thanks!

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:25 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

  • How low is his saturation??? If it's above 90 while he's sleeping then I wouldn't worry as long as he looks okay... but I would probably bring him in first thing in the morning incase he's developed a pneumonia from the initial cold.
    If it's below 90 then you should go in tonight.

    Answer by AmiJanell at 9:13 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

  • He is staying at 91-93 now while sleeping. I'm taking him in the morning. Thanks!

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.