What is a Pagan?

I'm just curious. I don't really have a religion right now and I've been looking into different ones. I am interested in Paganism and I want to know more of what it is about. Do you have rituals? Do you have one god or more then one or none at all?
I would deeply appreciate any information you can give me.
Thank you ladies!

Moonwhispers

Asked by Moonwhispers at 8:07 PM on Feb. 28, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Paganism is an umbrella term that covers a lot of very different beliefs and practices - so the answers to your questions vary quite a bit depending on who you're asking. Pagans are panthesitic, duotheistic, polytheistic, monotheistic, nontheistic -- it all depends on the individual path! The practices and beliefs of a Wiccan can be very different from those of a Hellenic Pagan, or an Asatruar, etc. You can find out a lot more at the Pagan Primer - it's a great intro to "what is Paganism" and to exploring some of the different Pagan paths. 

I personally am a hard polytheist, honoring the Celtic and Norse gods, my ancestors, and nature and house spirits. I also practice what is known as kitchen witchery. This kind of "low magic" is everyday household workings that don't involve great ceremony or ritual tools.

Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 8:31 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• As you will hear from many, Paganism is an umbrella term used for those whom do not follow a form of Christianity, Jewish or Muslim religion..

Many different religions fall under this...  here is a link to get you started, there are a few groups here on CM that can help your search too...

Simply googling the word Pagan/Paganism will bring many sites to browse... if you like PM me any time...

I hope you find what you seek
    Blessed Be...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 8:31 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• A Pagan is someone who is not a Christian, Muslim or Jew. Good luck in finding spiritual peace. :)
    Anonymous

• Thank you all!
    Moonwhispers

Answer by Moonwhispers at 8:39 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Feel free to PM if you have more questions! I've run the gamut of studying and exploring in the past couple years. :-)
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 8:55 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• We practice Judaic magick and attend a Unitarian Universalist church. Our congregation is focused on religious education-- learning about the different faith choices. We have atheists and pagans and even Catholics. Many UU churches hold workshops that you could check out in your area.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:06 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• This group has a lot of good info for you...about a lot of religions:

End Religious Intolerance and Ignorance @ http://www.cafemom.com/group/103652

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 11:05 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Ohhh and to answer your other questions:

Do you have rituals? No... I don't really do much in this aspect.

Do you have one god or more then one or none at all? One or more Gods... for me I haven't nailed that down yet... for me it's simply "The Great Spirit" because I also have some Shamanistic beliefs. ;o)

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 11:08 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Pagan is a very wide term. More times than not though if someone claims Pagan as their religion and not Buddhist or something else they have a belief similar to that of Wicca.

Basics beliefs (although these change from path to path):
    ~ Polythiestic or the belief in more than one God/Goddess
    ~ Karma or the belief that everything you do will return to you
    ~ Nature Based - they aren't all, but a majority of pagans are earth based, they hold the earth as sacred and treat it and everything in it as such
    ~ Reincarnation or rebirth in order to learn the lessons that this existance has to offer

Depending on the path of Paganism they follow there are more differences that I can list. But they are usually all based around these that I listed in one way or another.

I am an eclectic pagan witch, I would be happy to answer any questions you have about my beliefs.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:54 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• As for my own personal beliefs - I am a hard poly-theist. I believe in a large number of Gods & Goddesses.

I conduct small rituals for the Sabbats (Wiccan/Pagan "Holidays") & Esbats (Full moon celebration) and for things like births, deaths, coming of age, marriage and the like... I believe that one's every day life is full of small little rituals to honor the Goddess & nature... Simple things like giving thanks over your dinner or a morning or bed time prayer, you don't need a big fancy ritual - it's the daily actions that mean the most.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:04 AM on Mar. 1, 2010