Do you tip for poor service? Tell me the truth, mommies!

If a waitress doesn't do what you perceive an adequate job serving you, what kind of tip do you leave? Do you care whether or not your tip "is part of their wage"? Is that really of your concern?

To answer my own question, I tip 20% or more for outstanding service:

Waitress (or waiter) is friendly and maintains eye contact.I also like it when they acknowlege my daughter (20 months old).

He/she checks on my table often.

Drinks are refilled soon after the glass is emptied.

My check is brought promptly after it is apparent I have completed my meal.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:18 PM on Feb. 28, 2010 in Relationships

• absolutely terrible service, I'll just talk with the manager...no tip. As a prior bartender for 10 years I refuse to tip if they're rude. TIPS = TO INSURE PROMPT SERVICE. If a server/ bartender cannot meet that expectation well then they lost their tip. Their jobs depend on tips and how they perform is how they make their money. If they cannot be good servers/ bartenders then get out of the job. We are not required to pay tips at all......it's at our discretion, so as a choice if the service is good then 20%+ depending on how the server was.....regular service....probably still 20%, but anything less than that where I'm forgotten or they treat me rude....NOTHING. I been in the business and I know how it works...I have no sympathy.
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 9:11 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• I usually tip some anyway unless they have been mean in some way. I may only leave $1.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:24 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• I tip 10% if it was poor service. Then 20-30% for great service. I am flexible if the restaurant is busy. If I am only one of two or three tables I expect outstanding service. If the restaurant is hopping and the server is running around like mad, then I usually tip well even if I receive decent service.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:25 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• if we can afford to tip and depends on where we are at. i dont think "servers" should get tip at a help yourself buffet, when they dont really wait on you.
    Anonymous

• i tip 5% for poor service
    ascora

Answer by ascora at 8:31 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• If the service is really bad, I will not only leave a terrible tip, but I also speak with the manager. If I recieve exceptional service, I leave 25-30%, and I also speak with the manager to let them know how great my service was. Let's face it, waitresses are there because they need the money, and if I can let the manager know how great my service was, and they get more hours, thats much better than a 1 time big tip.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 8:32 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• I tip 10% for poor service and will let the manager know. I leave 20% plus for good service. If I can't afford to tip, I don't go out to eat!

Answer by missanc at 8:45 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• If the server is very inattentive (like not filling our water glasses) then I will tip about 10%. If I see that the restaurant is very busy then I cut the server some slack. Often times restaurants are understaffed for various reasons so that puts a heavier load on the servers.

If the food comes out wrong (like undercooked) that's not the server's fault. And I also remember that everyone is human and has bad/off days. I know I do.

If the server is rude and unfriendly combined with lousy service then that is the time I won't tip.
    chocaholic888

Answer by chocaholic888 at 9:13 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• I have a sliding tip scale. 10% is minimum. 15% for good service and 20% for great service.
    MokaMommy

Answer by MokaMommy at 10:01 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• what I really like about living in Japan is you only tip if the service is bad. To the Japanese a tip is the ultimate insult - it suggests they will need extra money to get a new job
    Anonymous