Breast to bottle...

Asking in this category because more traffic...

I am trying to switch my 6mo to a bottle. I am starting school and I dry up easily, so I figure to make the switch completely. He hasn't had a bottle in 24 hours. He has had a few ounces of apple juice, an ounce of formula, a few ounces of oatmeal, and a few bites of fruit. He is screaming every time we get the bottle near him. We've tried many different bottles and nipples. I have the help of my father, mother, and husband, but he won't take it from anybody. Any tips? How much longer can he go without formula? I don't want to give him the breast because I don't want a setback.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:11 PM on Feb. 28, 2010 in Just for Fun

• well, so if he wont take formula you just arent going to feed him your milk? wow
    Anonymous

• you sound very selfish
    Anonymous

• you HAVE to feed him some form of nutrition. breastmilk or formula. and if he isnt happy with the bottle than give him your breast. poor baby:(
    Anonymous

• how is that selfish?

well i would keep trying the bottle maybe not give him juice until he takes the formula. when i had probs switching my 2nd one to formula i out a tad bit of chocolate syrup in with the formula. breast milk is sweet and formula isnt...other than that not sure what to tell you =( good luck
    Anonymous

• Thanks for bashing me... He won't take breast milk out of the bottle either. I'm so happy for you that your children weened so easily. I'm asking for help, jeez.
    Anonymous

• My son would never take a bottle, no matter if I was there or not. I pumped just in case and had plenty on hand but he would not take it. I would leave at 6:30 in the morning and returned no later than 3. He would not take any breast milk, or formula during that time but boy did he make up for it once I was home. Now he had fruits and veggies etc so he was not starving. Some babies are like that. Can you pump and put it in a sippy cup? Or maybe come home in between classes and breastfeed the baby? Does the school offer daycare? You can continue to feed him while you are home and do all the other stuff when you are away, maybe he will take formula or breast milk from a sippy cup..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:20 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• yes, my child weaned on HER OWN. not at 6 months. and chocolate syrup in the bottle is CRAZY!!! you are asking for an overweight, tummy upset baby if you do that. have you tried an SNS? that would give him the breastmilk he needs and clearly wants. formula tastes aweful..can you blame him for wanting mommy's milk?
    Anonymous

• how does he drink his juice? have u tried a soft top sippy?

and ignore those rude @$$es...everyone must be pmsing or not gettin laid
    Anonymous

• you are asking for an overweight, tummy upset baby if you do that.

well my kids arent overweight ..my kids fall in the lower number of recommended weight and always have, and never had an upset tummy....my dr said it was ok...so unless you been there u have no right to judge
    Anonymous

• I tried sippy cups too. Plus just slowly trying to get him to drink from a normal cup. I got him to drink the juice by squirting it into his mouth with a medicine syring. Tried it with the formula and breastmilk, but he fought it then. I am just so exhausted and I feel so bad for my baby.

Thank you to those who support me and actually have advice.
    Anonymous