what temp/fever ....

would make you say screw the Motrin and either head to the ER or be sobbing uncontrollably to 911?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 9:19 PM on Feb. 28, 2010 in Kids' Health

• please dont wait that long. thats when seizures can happen and permanent brain damage. if the temp is over 101 in a child you need to call your dr for sure. especially if it isnt controlled by tylenol and motrin. try rotating tylenol and motrin also. cuz they are different things and you can take tylenol every 4hrs and motrin every 6. if its later at night or the weekend and your drs office is closed they should still have an answering service you can call and ask the dr on call what to do. If it gets to like 103 def go to the ER.
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 9:31 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• they don't worry about a fever until about 106, unless he is Severely dehydrated. as in, not drinking anything, hasn't peed in 24 hours. we sat in the ER for 6 hours with our then 11 month old son who had a fever of 104.5 AFTER they gave him tylonal in the triage. he wouldn't drink anything but he had peed within 24hrs, it was then they told me they don't worry till 106.

armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 9:25 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• I tend to panic and wonder if others do too! my princess was 102 and I am playing the motrin waiting game, which i haaaaaaaate. my instinct is to have her medi vac'd to childrens hospital...loz
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 9:34 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• the new concenses of docs is that a fever is good. it means that the body is fighting off something. and they dont really worry to much about it but treat it so the child is more comfortable. the doc recently told me they dont worry til its 105 ( just recently had my dd in hospital for RSV) personally i think 103 then i will go to the ER. if at anytime th childs hands or feet turn blue immidently get them to the er. i found out because of my dd hands and fett were along with 104 fever and the RSV, that it means the body is pulling its blood and oxygen to their core. i personally also belive that if there is a consiant fever for a couple days that you can't seem to lower get them into the doc asap.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 12:48 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• 105

Answer by rkoloms at 6:22 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I would be going to the ER if it were 106-107 or if he looked really ill. The fever itself wouldn't cause me to RUN to the ER... a fever isn't harmful at all, it's just a sign of something going on. Usually it's just a virus and can be managed at home... but if there were symptoms of respiratory distress, dehydration or if he was lethargic I would bring him in.
    Brain damage CANNOT occur from a fever... and siezure do happen in some children, but they are harmless, although scary... but it has nothing to do with how high the temp is... it has to do with how FAST the temp goes up. A child can have a febrile siezure at 100 or 105... it just depends.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:49 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I"ve always gone with how sick does my kid look? sick kids act like sick kids.
    JoyXtwo

Answer by JoyXtwo at 11:22 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• The temp doesn't always matter, it is HOW your child is acting. Are they lethargic? Not eating or drinking? No wet diapers? Shaking from the fever? My son has had temps of 106 and was running around and playing, eating and drinking like normal. And he has had 101 temps were he was a big ole blob. I would say if the fever is over 104, then take them in, especially if not acting "normal".

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:59 PM on Mar. 3, 2010