Sick & getting worse. What should I do??

So I think it was Wednseday that I started feeling bad, it started with a discomfort in my ear and a sore throat, Thursday my ear felt better and I generally felt better, but my throat still hurt. I called my ob's nurse Thursday to see what I could do about it, I called twice and got one reply where she hung up when my fiance's ringback tone came on. Friday night my ear started hurting so bad I was crying and my fiance threatend to take me to the ER. I refused cause it's just an ear infection. So far this weekend I've just gotten worse, I can't breathe out of my nose and as of about 3 hrs ago it feels like there is cotton stuck in me ears impairing my hearing. I think that it would be overboard to go to the ER. Am I right? What should I do?

(P.S. when I was little I had chronic ear infections and had to get tubes in my ears about 2 or 3 yrs ago, since then I think i've only had one infection if that)

JessicaMchurch

Asked by JessicaMchurch at 9:26 PM on Feb. 28, 2010 in Health

• Why would you even ask this? Of course you should go in!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 9:32 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• The ER is for emergency medical care. Not just life threatening injuries. If you are in unmanageable pain, you have every right to go in and get help..as moms we take our babies in for the same symptoms at 3:00am all the time. If you leave an infection too long you could suffer hearing loss. Why should she suffer?
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 9:37 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Drink. HOt herbal tea is best. Drink a cup of non-sugary, non-caffeine (and of course non-alcohol) fluids. That will give your body what it needs to make the congestion water-y again.

Ear & throat are connected. Gargle with very warm salty water to flush the germs out of the throat (this will help the ears, too). Gargle for 60 seconds, in 20-second intervals, every time you gargle. And gargle at least 3 times a day - especially when you're going to sleep.

Coltsfoot tea is helpful for colds. Nettle leaf is good, too. Slippery elm is supposed to help sore throats. But just drink hot liquids - 2 cups a day.

Eat a lot of vegetables, well-cooked if you're feeling very oppressed by the illness or if you are feverish. If you are feeling like this, then avoid protein, fats & oils - they tax the liver, and the liver needs to focus on the immune system right now.

Alkaline foods help (look it up)
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 9:41 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• The above tips come from the approach to nursing yourself and your family through illnesses which is outlined in Dr. Incao's articles:

Understanding Infection: Not a Battle, but a Housecleaning
    which you'll find among other articles useful for moms on his website:
    http://www.compwellness.net/mp/incaop.htm

It is well worth the time to learn his advice (and more importantly to UN-learn the mistaken notions we have picked up. These mistaken notions help drug companies sell cold and cough medicines, but they DON'T help us get well !! )

The insights he offers WORK.
    I won't bore you with story after story of our family's bouts with illnesses ...
    Do take a look. Start drinking and gargling NOW. Sleep ... and get better right away !!

A votre sante !
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 9:47 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• OOps ! That was supposed to read a cup of hot liquid every hour ... and 12 - TWELVE - cups a day (not 2)
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 9:48 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• As for the above....I've never taken my kids into the ER for an ear infection or cold symptoms. Never even for a fever.

I would wait until the morning and call the nurse again. Ask to see the doctor if necessary. I didn't get the whole thing about the fiance's ringtone and why she would hang up if she heard it in the background. Maybe she was just being a bitch.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 10:05 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Forgot something:
    For the earache:
    Wear a hat at all times, and make sure your feet are staying warm - all the way up past the ankle
    There is a eustachian tube which goes from just behind your earlobe, just behind the jawbone, traveling down to the throat. The eustachian tube drains the ear canal into the throat (that's why a sore throat can lead to a clogged ear or an ear infection, because the throat & ear are physically connected) So what you can do to encourage the flow down the eustachian tube is to stroke firmly from up at the ear and down the side of the neck, to pull / encourage drainage.

To open up the ear canal, get a chunk of fresh garlic and chew it with our molars on the side of the mouth where the earache lies. There will be a zzing! which often opens things up. (I always have handy a piece of apple to chew on once I've achieved that zzing)

And in addition to wearing a warm wool hat to bed, lie your (cont'd)
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 10:17 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• (cont'd)
    lay a hot water bottle, as warm as is comfortable, on your pillow, and lie down on it with your affected ear.

Some people keep the ear warm with some cotton ball in there, and sometimes a couple of drops of olive oil for extra insulation.

With a sore throat and especially an earache, don't let your neck get cold - going outside wrap a warm scarf around your neck up to your ears, & cover your head down to your ears.

Chill is your enemy, so keep yourself warm.
    I'm not saying you should not go to an emergency room, I'm just telling you what you can do to support your body and to avoid stressing it because you don't realize what it needs.

I'm assuming you already are on top of getting a lot of vitamin C (Emergen-C is the most helpful form of vit C - quite different from the ascorbic acid which they CALL vit C) ... 6000 mg vit C is not too much when your immune system is working so hard.

Best wishes !
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 10:25 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Well maybe you haven't had a baby screaming non stop hysterically and nothing worked. Why would I put them through that. And if she's had tubes in her ears I'd get professional medical help ASAP. You can go deaf. Home remedies won't work on stuff that serious. I have permanent damage because I didn't recieve emergency care. Follow your gut.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 11:07 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• All I was saying is that not all of us have had that. No I haven't had a kid screaming to where I couldn't wait until the next morning for an ear infection. Sheesh, everyone has different thresholds. I tend to catch things like ear infection rather early. Not saying anyone who doesn't is a horrible unobservant parent, so don't put words in my mouth. I'm just saying that with my kids it was easy to tell.

This is for opinions, and mine is that an ear infection is not worth an ER trip. I guess unless your ear drum perfs and blood is coming out.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 11:47 PM on Feb. 28, 2010