Is Splenda safe for children?

Was just watching a Splenda commercial and noticed alot of it featured kids eating cupcakes and cookies. I always thought products containing Splenda and other artificial sweetners were NOT a good thing for children. Am I misinformed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:33 PM on Feb. 28, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Splenda is made from sugar. I definitely trust it more than the chemical sweeteners. My kids have it occasionally now that my mom has been diagnosed with diabetes.

It's such a new product though, I really don't think any indepth studies have or even could have been done yet to know for sure.
    Anonymous

• It's not that new of a product. It's ten years old. And yes it's safe for kids. It's sucralose not asparatame. What do diabetic chilren use?
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 9:38 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Steff- still, 10 years is not long enough to know if it causes any long term effects. Such as sweet-n-low being a carcinogen or nutrasweet causing holes in the brain.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't give it to my kids because every time my husband or I have it we get a horrible headache. It also happened with my best friend too so we don't use it or buy anything with it in it.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 9:43 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• wow! looked up the side effects and found this: http://www.steviacafe.net/dangers-of-splenda

Anonymous

• We have two diabetics in our home. 1 adult, 1 child. We all use splenda on a daily basis. Our Dr's, Pediatricians and nutrionist are all aware. I will not consume anything with apartame in it.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:47 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Idsdragonmom- sounds like your family is allergic

"A small segment of the population is allergic to sucralose, and the reactions produced in this group can be everything from rashes, panic attacks, headaches, to intestinal cramping, diarrhea, muscle aches, and stomach pain. Findings for allergic reactions are well-documented, but for the rest of the population, the studies are murky, at best"
    Anonymous

• Apparently so. We do get stomach aches sometimes also. I forgot about that until I read the above link.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 9:55 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• if you do a search on sucralose, what splenda really is you'll find out some interesting information. Then its up to you to decide about the product.
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 10:03 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• oh JEEZ... even aspartame in small amounts isn't going to hurt anyone... that's why its still on the market!! like if you eat a who freakin ton of lima beans itll make you super sick. i think using regular/natural ingredients is always best... but occasionally, yes, im sure its safe unless there is a sucralose allergy.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 10:04 PM on Feb. 28, 2010