Does anyone know any tips on cramps?

I have bad cramps in my legs. They wake me up at night and it is excruciating. I get them during the day sometimes but the night ones are the worse. I go from asleep to agony and usually wake dh. Last night it happened every two hours which left me exhausted this morning.
I also get cramps in my neck and feet. Sometimes its triggered by movement and other times its just out of the blue. Any help would be appreciated!

MokaMommy

Asked by MokaMommy at 9:35 PM on Feb. 28, 2010 in Health

• TONIC WATER with QUININE. Its clear and you can find it usually with the soda or alcoholic beverages at the grocery story. My husband gets the Canada Dry brand... but it HAS TO HAVE the quinine... thats what does it. He swears by the stuff cuz he gets bad cramps. Works pretty fast.
    If you eat too many bananas you will get constipated. It would be better to take a supplement.
    But try the tonic water with quinine. (It tastes kinda gross to me... i would mix it with something sugary... juice or another soda.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 9:54 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• muscle cramps like that are most commonly caused by lack of potassium
    eat 2 bananas a day until they get better. Then eat 1 banana a day.
    Anonymous

• Because your muscles work on a sodium/potassium pump system, that is also facilitated by calcium you need to make sure those 3 minerals are in balance in your system. Iron also pays a part in this picture. Make sure you are getting enough of these, and are not over loading on any of them! I would also suggest seeing your doc about this... they will ultimately get to the root of the problem and help you "fix" it!! ;o)

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 10:42 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Be careful about adding too much potassium to your diet, it can cause heart problems. I used to get leg & feet cramps at night until I went gluten free. Try going gluten free for a few weeks.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:42 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• All of these are really great answers. I really appreciate the help. I will try them one at a time until something works. I did see my Dr. she just told me to try an get more potassium. She didn't seem too concerned, but the cramps are painful and I would like to avoid them if possible.
    MokaMommy

Answer by MokaMommy at 9:55 AM on Mar. 1, 2010