vpk or preschool at an elementry school?

i am a stay at home mom, and my daughter will be 4 in april. so i need to figure out soon where she will be going for preschool in august. the vpk here in florida is from 9am to 12pm monday through friday, but if she went to an elementary school for preschool she would be there all day. what are your experiences with both and which do you think would be better?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:38 PM on Feb. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• My oldest went to a vpk that was at a daycare and only part time, and my youngest went to one at the elementary school. Honestly, I felt the one my youngest went to was more beneficial. The one my oldest went to, they basically just colored and played with play doh and such. They were teaching them to sit at a desk/table and listen to a teacher, and a little bit about their letters and numbers and such, but not much. My youngest came out of his program able to write his first and last name, knowing all his letters and numbers, able to write a few other words besides his name, and even beginning to learn some simple addition and subtraction. He is now in Kindergarten, and has excellent grades, and his teacher is always commenting on how good his skills are. I would recommend the program at the school, if you are able to get her in that. I think it would be more advantageous to her to go to that. Good luck!
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:54 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• What is vpk?

Answer by rkoloms at 6:23 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• vpk is Voluntary Pre Kindergarten. It's a program here in FL that prepares kids for Kindergarten, but it is completely voluntary. If held in a daycare, it's free and you only have to pay if your child is there outside of the hours of the vpk program. It's the same thing as the elementary school program, but the elementary school seems to prepare them better.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:35 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Why are people so anxious to get their kids out of the house at such a young age? For pete's sake, they're only little once!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:51 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• op- thanks for your answers

to anon 7:51- i'm not anxious to get her out of the house, she wants to go to school, and if it will help her be prepared for kindergarten why is that a bad thing?
    Anonymous