My sons first bed...what did you get?

My son is finally getting his own bed. He is 5 and almost 4 feet tall. I am gearing towards a metal twin bed that's 78 inches long which is perfect. It can eventually turn into a loft bed with a small desk which he could have when he gets a little older. I'm curious what other people have bought their kids.

aidansmom111804

Asked by aidansmom111804 at 9:38 PM on Feb. 28, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• the way my kids are with furniture, I'm getting the super sturdy twin beds made with basically 2X4s! LOL
    Anonymous

• my dd has a toddler dora the explorer bed
    ascora

Answer by ascora at 9:41 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• My now 10 year old has bunk beds I bought him when he was 5. He has always enjoyed it when he had friends over to spend the night or his brother or sister could sleep in the other bunk on the weekends. I had always assumed that someday when he got older we would just unbunk them and he would have two twin beds, but he has a 15 month old brother now, so we'll probably just pass the bunk beds down in a couple years and get him a new bedroom suite.

Answer by missanc at 9:44 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• My son just turned 5 and he's graduated from a toddler bed to a twin bed. I bought him a cherry wood bed frame, very sturdy and durable. Of course his sheets were sponge bob! lol
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 9:55 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• All three of my boys had a car bed for their first bed after the crib. Our oldest now has a bunk bed. The bottom bunk is empty and serves as an area for his desk and book case.
    Here is a picture of the youngest's first night in his toddler bed, he crawled in with his big brother...too sweet!
    Photobucket
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:59 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• My step-dad is making my son a bed out of wood. I want a real wood bed but can't afford one from a furniture store. He makes beautiful furniture and has made almost all of mine. It's a twin with a book case headboard and drawers in the bottom. I'm hoping it lasts forever!
    Anonymous

• My girls all have junior beds from Ikea. They are slightly longer then a toddler bed but a little narrower. My older girls got them when they were almost 4 and 6 and still use them at almost 10 and 7. My 10yo is only 4' tall and still has room to grow in hers. My youngest got hers at 23 months. She's almost 4 and will use it for many more years.
    My son is 8 and like 4 1/2' tall and doesn't have a bed any more. He had a twin mattress when he was 20 months but doesn't have it any more. Right now he sleeps on a camp mat. The bed he is getting is twin sized and lofted a few feet. We'll either put some shelves and a bean bag under there or another mattress to make it a bunk bed with his little sister (depends on where we move and the space we have).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:28 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I just bought my two youngest boys their first bed (besides a toddler bed). Because of how their room is I couldn't do bunk beds and I couldn't put two twin size beds in there unless I wanted to take away almost ALL of their play space. I found a captain's trendle bed and they LOVE it. They each still have their own bed but since one bed gets rolled under the other we still have lots of room for them to play.
    This is what the bed looks like (it's not their room)
    Photobucket
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 8:58 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• My son is 5 and has a full size bed. When hubby and I got a new one for ourselves our son wanted our full size bed. Since the mattress was still in good shape we let him have it. He just loves all the space he has and can roll to his hearts content without falling out of bed. Which is good cause he is a restless sleeper like his mommy :)
    keiths.mommy

Answer by keiths.mommy at 6:48 PM on Mar. 12, 2010