How do you calm yourself down?

Ok tomorrow afternoon I have a dentist appointment to get fillings in my two front teeth. I'm scared shitless. The first time I went to get x-rays I was so nervous I started freaking out and hyperventialiating. I don't know why I'm so scared, the only other time I've been to the dentist is when I was 6 years old. Do any of you get nervous and how do you calm yourself down???

memory_adrift

Asked by memory_adrift at 9:44 PM on Feb. 28, 2010 in Health

• I am terrified of the dentist so sometimes they give me a vicodin to help relax
    Anonymous

• I get nervous all the time, I'm usually speaking in front of large crowds when I do. I listen to music, all the music I love, motivating music to get me feeling like I'm on top of the world. Music that inspires you, gives you energy and really makes you feel good. Breathing exercises where you take one large breath slowly, and slowly release....do that several times....keep yourself steady...know that you can do it, and it will be over before you know it. You'll laugh about it the next day! You'll do great!
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 9:49 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Breathe out slowly. Count as you breathe. Try counting to 10. Feel the tension leave your body. Feel the tension gathering in your lungs and being blown out through your mouth as you breathe out. Try breathing out a string of air- breathe out so slowly that you imagine that the air is flowing out as thinly as a string.

Answer by Bmat at 9:51 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• try self-hypnosis. google how to do it, then see a hypnotherapist a few times, have a tape made or something, and it should be a huge help!
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 9:57 PM on Feb. 28, 2010