Why does he act this way with me and not with my dh?

I have a 8 yr old son and man he is annoying at times he is a very good boy an average boy he does ok grades but he is so obnousious and annoying I ask him to stop and he will for a minute then he starts right back up I don't know if it is to annoy me or what bc when he tries to act like that around his dad his dad does not play games when he talks he listens and listens good. Why can my dh control him and I can not??? I don't like when he acts this way. I could be sitting minding my own business on the tv or computer and he'll come over being all loud and trying to hug and kiss me he reminds me of something a drunk would do...lol I tell him to calm down and then we can hug and give kisses then he'll jump off and leave. I don't know what to do I don't want to tell my dh everything he does bc surely he will take care of him I know I should turn the other cheek but damn it is so hard. I just want him to be calmer towrds me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:52 PM on Feb. 28, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Well, one thing I have heard is that kids tend to listen to men better...something about their voices, I can't remember exactly what it was. But, part of the issue sounds to me like he knows dad will punish, and you will not. It sounds like you might need to be firmer with him. Maybe take some tips from dad on how to do this, since dad seems to have a handle on it. Look at how dad deals with him, and try to kind of mimic that. Not necessarily do exactly what dad does, but try to be more like that. If dad tells him once and then punishes, then you tell him once and then punish. Once he knows that you mean business as well, he may begin to settle down. As for being loud when he comes to hug and kiss on you, well...I hate my kids being loud, too, but when it comes to getting a hug and/or a kiss, I'll overlook it. There's only so many years they're going to be willing to hug and kiss me, I'm not going to miss out. :)
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:58 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Well, you said he is annoying three times. You said he is obnoxious and average. Do you seriously think he doesn't pick up on that? I think your best bet is to really try to build your relationship with your child. Maybe he wants you to pay attention to him instead of the TV or computer? If he comes giving you hugs, have you tried stopping what you are doing and hugging him back and talking to him for a while?
    Anonymous

• OP here it isn't even like that I do give him attention he is just annoying...lol he just wants more and more and I do give him his hugs and kisses it is just that he comes to me when I am most busy not just on the tv and computer. I have talk to him about this he just blows me off and start laughing and jumping around I mean If I get mad enough at him he'll behaive but I don't want it to get that far.
    Anonymous

• He's desperate for your attention. You are causing that, not him. That's why he doesn't do it to dad. Dad doesn't ignore him
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on Mar. 1, 2010